Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Please explain tags >

Please explain tags

Please explain tags

Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Please explain tags

I just posted a thread in the pictures and I thought that the TAG was what I needed to use to label the pictures, if I have multiple pictures, so I thought that I would try it, to see if it worked. Well, it didn't, which is ok, because I only posted one picture. In fact, my thread didn't post, saying that I didn't have permission to use tags. So I did remove what I had written in the tag area and my thread did post. Can anyone explain what tags are and when they are used and by whom? And on the other hand, is it possible to put an explanation of multiple photos by each picture when you post them? I think that I have seen others do this, but not sure. I like it when multiple pictures are posted and an explanation is written by each, rather than scrolling back to the initial post to understand the pictures. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM

A few days ago, there was a discussion regarding how to put text around pictures in a post. You can probably get your answers to that question here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...s-t173146.html

I found this in the help section in regard to "tags"

What are tags?
Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.
To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).
This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.
Who adds the tags?
Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.
How do I use tags?
Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'
This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.

Last edited by mzzzquilts; 12-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Administrator

We can use existing Tags to categorize the threads we create. However, I think I'm the only one who can create new Tags for us to choose from. Moderators might be able to, but I'm not sure because the subject has never come up before.

If you look at the Tag Cloud (the list and blob of existing tags) you'll see that there are already quite a few available to use. The size of a Tag's lettering indicates how often it's been used (or not used.) The smaller the letters, the less often it's been used.

If you want to Tag a topic/thread and can't find one in the Cloud that seems to fit, please send me a PM. I will need a link to the topic you want tagged and a recommended Tag Title. Once I have created the new Tag, it will be available for everyone to use in the future if they also find it useful.