Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but I just don't understand why a picture has to be resized. Please explain the reason and maybe I'll be able to understand a bit better.

Have to admit I sure do miss the simplicity of the previous easy to use site. I'm slowly getting a little more familiar with this one but don't understand why everything is so complicated and multilayered. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    there's no law that says you must resize a photo. if it's too big, it just won't upload at all.

resizing, which includes either compressing the size of the file, changing the display dimensions, or both, not only makes the upload more efficient, it improves the appearance and display speed once it's been posted.

if the display dimensions are too big, the photos eat the page and take a very long time to appear on the screen. that was true at the old site, too. it's just more noticeable in this format.

i have always prepared my photos for upload. i did it by habit at the old site, too. it's a courtesy to my fellow members who might be on dial-up or who have older, slower computers with not a lot of memory.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Blog Entries
    JUNEC sent me another suggestion. This is what works for her:

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    I had problems resizing photos - not computer savvy - my son showed me this site

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

1. Set up a file to save your shruck photos to

2. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page to "
    Choose Picture or Photo to Shrink" - click on BROWSE
    3. Find photo you want to resize - CLICK ON IT - which will load it into the program
    4. Under # 2 Select New Maximum Image dimension - select 600 pixel

5 *RESIZE (click on RESIZE button) be patient if original picture is large

6. Your photo will come up - Download this picture Now

7. Hit the SAVE button - - find the folder you created & Save it to the file you created

8. When done , it will pull you back to resize photo site

9. Click on REMOVE IT NOW button

10. Hit yes to remove it

11 - Arrow back & start all over

Sounds complicated - but once you do it a couple of times it is easy

Thought this might me easier to members to use - you probably could simplify the directions
    Thanks
    June
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    there's no law that says you must resize a photo. if it's too big, it just won't upload at all.

resizing, which includes either compressing the size of the file, changing the display dimensions, or both, not only makes the upload more efficient, it improves the appearance and display speed once it's been posted.

if the display dimensions are too big, the photos eat the page and take a very long time to appear on the screen. that was true at the old site, too. it's just more noticeable in this format.

i have always prepared my photos for upload. i did it by habit at the old site, too. it's a courtesy to my fellow members who might be on dial-up or who have older, slower computers with not a lot of memory.
    Thanks for the resizing explanation Patrice. I understand the reasons now but I never did figure out how to do it, much less actually successfully uploading a pic - lol, don't know if I'll be able to figure it out - it's kind of like Greek to me at this point. It's taking me way too much time on here trying to figure it out. Think I'll just give it a rest for a while and try (maybe) again another time. I need to go sew.

I have a Mac and I e-mail the photos to myself because I cam compose them in small, medium and Large. I use small for the board. After i get the e-mail I put on my desktop and then choose that file picture in the board thread. This works for me and I don't know another way for Mac users. If anyone has a better way for me, I would appreciate help for method that is correct. Thanks
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    I have a Mac and I e-mail the photos to myself because I cam compose them in small, medium and Large. I use small for the board. After i get the e-mail I put on my desktop and then choose that file picture in the board thread. This works for me and I don't know another way for Mac users. If anyone has a better way for me, I would appreciate help for method that is correct. Thanks
    Suzanne, I'm a Mac user too. Did you see the methods I use? Look on Page 1 of this thread, Message #5.
    Andi R
    http://www.andicraftsquilting.com
    http://andicrafts.wordpress.com
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/1347131/pattern-store
    Proud owner of "Smart Alec" (A-1 with IntelliQuilter) and "Maggie" (the Prodigy)

Blog Entries
    OK, I have resized a photo and will now attempt to upload for your viewing. I sure hope it works!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Blog Entries
    Woohoo -- it worked! Thanks Patrice and the rest of your techie folks for your excellent instructions.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

My very first picture attachment from an Apple computer... not quite as hard as I thought. Gonna post it again in the pictures section
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congratulations! I am SO happy that you finally found a way to get your photos on here.... will go & see if I can find your other postings....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast