Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing

Blog Entries

Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing

I apologize to Mac users because this focuses on Windows PC options.
    I don't own a Mac. If anybody out there wants to buy me a new one, I will be happy to throw together some suggestions for that platform, too.

It's fairly easy to resize (and compress) a photo using MS Windows Paint. Also, it's built into Windows so doesn't cost anything to use (except your time, of course.)

1. Open Paint and then open your photo file
    2. Use the Resize Tool

If you have Microsoft Office installed, you most likely have The MS Office Picture Manager (MSO PM) tool available, too.

1. Right-click on the file and select "Open With" | MS Office
    2. From the menu, select "Edit Pictures"
    3. Use either the "Resize" or "Compress" tools to the right
    4. I have found it best to use the "Resize"
    5. Select one of the Predefined Width x Height options (best for this board is "Web - Large 640 x 480")

Save your photo (or use the "Save as...[different file name]" so you can save the smaller version as a copy and keep the original file intact.)

As it downloaded from my camera, the photo below is gihumongous. It's too big to upload here. If it did upload, it would take a very, very long time to upload and it would eat your monitor.

The version below was resized to Web - Large using MSO PM
    the whole process takes only a few minutes. with practice, you can resize several pictures, one after the other, in just a few seconds each.

Name:  Apples Edited Using MSO PM.jpg
Views: 4871
Size:  189.6 KB

To see examples of other versions of this picture, please check out this page:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/p...les-b7915.html

Trust me when I tell you that mastering this important skill is much easier than trying to achieve a stinkin' scant quarter-inch seam.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Thanks Patrice!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    One other suggestion, if you are only taking pictures to post on the web, just change the setting on your camera to a web size picture setting. No need to use the setting for getting poster-size prints made. Then you don't have to mess with resizing them! Just remember, if you're going to a wedding or important event where you might want to print out large prints, reset it so you're not disappointed. Excellent post on resizing, PatriceJ!

Thank you, Thank you Patrice. I am going to try this ASAP. The photo issue was the biggest one for me. I will be soooo! happy to learn how to fix it.
    Sweet Caroline

On a Mac, you can resize an image in Preview. Open the image, then in the Tools menu select Adjust Size. For viewing online I reduce the Resolution to 75.

There is also an online option for resizing photos that I use often - Picnik. http://www.picnik.com/ You don't need to register or download anything. Choose a photo, then go to the edit tab and find Resize on the lower left. There are many other adjustments you can make to your photo there as well. When finished, click the Save & Share tab to save the revised photo.
    Andi R
    http://www.andicraftsquilting.com
    http://andicrafts.wordpress.com
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/1347131/pattern-store
    Proud owner of "Smart Alec" (A-1 with IntelliQuilter) and "Maggie" (the Prodigy)

Success. WhooHoooo

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Thank you, Thank you Patrice. I am going to try this ASAP. The photo issue was the biggest one for me. I will be soooo! happy to learn how to fix it.
    It worked. Learned a lot about setting my camera, MS Paint, and resizing photos. But I did print out the instructions to keep in front of me until they are burned into my itty bitty brain. Best of all, I am no longer frustrated. Now back to building a quilt.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    And if you have Adobe Photoshop Elements (even my old, old version) there is a command to "Save for Web" that condenses beautifully for posting to the internet.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Thanks - this is so helpful to me as a "limitedly trained computer user" Maybe I'll start posting pics now!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Thanks a bunch, photos resized, now to see if they will upload!!!
    May the scrap fairy visit your sewing room often

Blog Entries
    Patrice, thank you so much for your great instructions!!! Resized and uploaded pics already!!! You are the best!!! :-)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast