Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QB Help Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/)
-   -   How Do I Handle Snail Mail Here? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/how-do-i-handle-snail-mail-here-t197328.html)

wendiq 08-11-2012 12:05 PM

How Do I Handle Snail Mail Here?

I'm not sure where to post this. I have enough good selvages to fill two large Flat Rate boxes (these are packed solidly full). I will gladly send them FREE to anyone that will pay the postage. Each selvage has a good 1/2" to 1" fabric besides the selvage and most are from well known companies. Some have been given to me so I can't vouch for those. My question is......How do I handle the postage for these if someone wants them? Do I ask for it up front or hope they are honest and send it to me when the box or boxes are received? I think each box will go for $14.95.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
And, if you are interested and have a practical solution, you sure can PM me....:) I am getting old, and I need to downsize so much of my "stuff".

butterfly48 08-11-2012 12:10 PM

Those flat rate boxes , postage has went up on them I thank they are about 15.45 now.

Prism99 08-11-2012 12:22 PM

You would always want to collect the money before mailing the package. PayPal is easiest. However, if the person who wants this does not specify that their payment of postage is a "gift" to you, a small percentage of the payment will be deducted by PayPal as a fee for selling an item.

I believe this would not be allowed as a PIF (Pay It Forward) item on the QB if you need the postage covered. You could probably offer it in the sales area, however. If you are concerned about the PayPal fee, I think you could "sell" each box for the price of whatever the real postage cost is (check, as I do think the flat rate boxes have gone up) plus a little more to cover the PayPal fee, and specify that postage is included. But check the QB rules to make sure.

wendiq 08-11-2012 03:36 PM

I do NOT have a payment account.....I'm just a regular person that has a bunch of selvages I am wanting to give to some that will use them. I just don't want to pay the postage.....:( I know this isn't the area I need to be in, but was hoping someone that had done something like this would reply and help me out. I will check out the postage rates, too. Thanks.....

Prism99 08-11-2012 04:26 PM

Well, you don't ***have*** to use PayPal. You can specify a check (and that you will wait for the check to clear before mailing). You would post it in the "for sale" area of the QB and specify the amount of postage.

Edit: You would not post your snail mail address in the ad. Instead, you would wait for someone who is interested to PM you that they want the box. It's a good idea to specify that you will wait a certain number of days for the check to arrive (a week is probably good), and then will wait for the check to clear. You then PM that person when their check arrives, again when the package is mailed. If the check doesn't arrive within the specified time, you can re-list the item.

Whether snail mail or PayPal, it's accepted common practice for the seller to wait for the money to arrive before mailing the package.

3incollege 08-11-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5434322)
Well, you don't ***have*** to use PayPal. You can specify a check (and that you will wait for the check to clear before mailing). You would post it in the "for sale" area of the QB and specify the amount of postage.

I think this is your best solution, would it be cheaper if you stuffed a manila envelope? I know there are a few members here that work with selvages , so i don't think you will have trouble getting rid of them.

wendiq 08-12-2012 05:59 AM

Thank you, Prisma and Donna. I, too, was thinking about that way to do this too, so thanks for putting that here as an acceptable method.

kuntryquilter 08-13-2012 03:11 AM

Those flat rate boxes are only $11.35. I know, I mail them every week. If someone is charging $15.45, they are making money off of you.

Originally Posted by butterfly48 (Post 5433906)
Those flat rate boxes , postage has went up on them I thank they are about 15.45 now.

claire clark 08-13-2012 06:33 AM

on the official post office site the cost $15.45

wendiq 08-14-2012 06:07 AM

Thanks, Claire. I'm afraid you are right, much as I would have liked to find them cheaper to send. At this point, I have a taker and will pay the difference myself. I am just happy someone wanted these....there are a bunch and they are pretty nice, so I'm sure the taker will be pleased with them.....:)