Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
trouble with reply >

trouble with reply

trouble with reply

Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 AM
elm

Default trouble with reply

If I reply with quote, no problem. When I try to reply with quick reply, it won't go through.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM

I seem to be having a similar problem, but I've noticed that if I've connected to QB through an email response to a thread I've subscribed to, I can't reply at all. I have to close the response, launch QB through the internet and not through the daily digest, and then I can reply. I've usually forgotten what I wanted to reply to by that time!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Administrator

we do have to be logged in if we want to post anything.
coming in through an email might not accomplish login.

some other members have reported the problem with posting replies when they are properly logged in. so far, i have not been able to detect a pattern that might help the techs determine the cause. there are very few things in common among those users who have reported the issue. this is what i have gathered so far:

1. the problem occurs when using Internet Explorer. (so, if you are among those having the problem I recommend you switch to FireFox or Google Chrome - at least for now.)
2. the problem occurs most often during an attempt to post a quick reply. it occurs sometimes when trying to submit a PM. (I recommend using the "Go Advanced" option in each case. If that does not improve things, please let me know so i can add that to my list of clues/not-clues.)

I have only been able to replicate the problem one time on my own computers. The Quick Reply failed, but a "Go Advanced" reply succeeded - although it took longer than usual for it to post.

The only thing i noticed that was different is that my wireless signal was only about half as strong as usual. I plugged a different receiver into my computer, which improved my signal, and my next attempt to post went through zippity-dip as usual.

The techs have not been able to replicate the problem at all on any of their computers.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Thanks for your response, Patrice. I received notification of your response through my email and clicked on the link in the email in order to get directly to your response, which is my usual procedure. At the top of the screen it said "Welcome, katybob", so I assume I was logged in. I attempted to respond at that time, this time using "Go Advanced". Typed the response, hit "Post Reply", nothing happened. In a couple of minutes I got the "not responding" message. I went directly through the internet this time rather than going through the link in the email.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Administrator

i'm trying to gather useful clues.

can you tell me how you connect to the internet? (dial-up, DSL, air card, etc)
are you able to check the strength/speed of your connection/signal?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM

Connect by DSL. It's a 32-bit operating system with 4.00 RAM (3.25 usable).
Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Administrator

can you determine your current connection quality?

for example, i have a little icon with bars in the lower right corner of my task bar.
i have DSL from my phone company. i also have a wireless router connected, so all of my computers are using a wireless connection, through the DSL modem, to the internet.
the number of bars indicates signal quality to the specific computer i'm using.

if you are on a wired connection, you might not have bars, but you will still have an icon of some kind in the lower right of your task bar that shows you are connected. there should be a way, using that icon, to determine the quality/speed of your connection.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Maybe it's just related to traffic on the internet. I've successfully replied to two other threads today by launching through my email, and I'm attempting to do that now. (We'll see if it works this time!)
Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
elm

Default re trouble with reply

Patrice, thanks for all you do. I have paid close attention to this thread since I first wrote. Yes, I do use Internet Explorer. Tried Mozilla Firefox and ran into difficulty with other things on my computer so got rid of it. There are many days when I have no problem. I am signed in according to the heading even when I get an message about a thread. When I do have a problem now, I use Go Advanced, but have to retype the message since it dissapears when I reconnect to the internet. Hope this information is useful to you.