2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Hi everyone!
I have tried to behave myself and haven't done too bad. I have kept my spending to a very bare minimum lately. Well it takes time to break or slow down these habits. On the plus side I have made 5 cozy shawls for charity out of my stash. Then I made 25 scrubbies with nylon netting. I made 3 baby receiving blankets for charity. Also, a scrappy blah baby quilt that will go to our local charity also. It is a start anyway.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

So far so good. I am too busy at work to shop & have resisted urge to buy from our boards yardsale site......have, however, been sorely tempted.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Allikat, it helps not to look - so why did I go check if Connecting Threads had any Rhapsody in Red left??? The one I liked best is sold out, so I'm safe.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Allikat, it helps not to look - so why did I go check if Connecting Threads had any Rhapsody in Red left??? The one I liked best is sold out, so I'm safe.
Same thing happened to me. I wanted some of the white on white from the Rhapsody in Red collection. I had put it into my basket on Friday but was trying to be strong, plus we had house guests and it's rude to shop when you have guests. When I went & looked this morning, all gone (so are the guests)! I'm amazed at how much of that collection sold out in only 2 weeks.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

But it is all so........enticing!!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Yesterday, I went through 1/3 of a laundry basket full of various fabrics. Some were scrap pieces and I remembered to cut them first because I would have more variety for my quilts. Thanks for the tip!

DH came into the kitchen today and said you must be testing fabric, again. :-) Yup..... Those pieces with polyester were identified, marked and placed in the donation bag.

Having done some sorting/ decluttering yesterday I rewarded myself by doing my first scrappy Many Trips Around the World as described on quiltville.com site. I even pieced one square in order to complete the pattern. Years ago, I would have never even considered doing that as everything just had to be exactly perfect. I am so grateful that I have matured in my outlook. :-)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM

I don't keep a big stash and I have the next few quilts planned. If I need binding or something, no big deal.
But I will visit my son in Austin in May. I am putting $5 bills aside as I get them- for Hobby Lobby!! There is nothing like them in NYC.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Help me be strong, my friends. I stopped by one shop yesterday to pick up a FQ for a challenge and the owners have clearanced a third of the store. Stonehenge Sunshine Gardens - the silky ones for $6. I have been collecting those for a Pyramid quilt. Do I have enough of the light greenish one before it disappears. Does anyone have the pattern? How much of the light fabric is needed? Moda florals - a weakness - at least they are not Benartex. Good grief, it's only January 26th. "Stay away from the store, Judy".
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Help me be strong, my friends. I stopped by one shop yesterday to pick up a FQ for a challenge and the owners have clearanced a third of the store. Stonehenge Sunshine Gardens - the silky ones for $6. I have been collecting those for a Pyramid quilt. Do I have enough of the light greenish one before it disappears. Does anyone have the pattern? How much of the light fabric is needed? Moda florals - a weakness - at least they are not Benartex. Good grief, it's only January 26th. "Stay away from the store, Judy".
No one would fault you if you purchased some of that fabric! It is an EXCELLENT price and you have a plan for it. I would buy it if I was in your shoes!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM

It's the Labyrinth pattern. I don't know where I got the other name. I have over two yards of that color, so I think I'm covered. It's the really light I don't have yet, but any light batik will do. I will go see if they have a light one in that line - I love the feel of it, but if they don't it's okay. Just get me past the florals.