2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 AM

I have already been doing this. I organized my sewing room last yr and got most of my fabric out of totes and onto shelves and was surprised at how much I have. The other thing I'm doing it not starting any new projects until I'm caught up on old ones. Except for my monthly embroidery club and since that is also about learning I'm not stopping that. This month I could not stay and sew so I did go by and get my kit and my first day off I made my project; a picture frame with a snow man on it. Then this weekend I made another one with a few modifications. I don't go into a fabric store unless I need something to complete an ongoing project. Two weeks ago I got one quilt done, a table runner done except for the binding, thats mainly because I'm not sure what binding I'm doing. This week I did a picture frame and finished up another crib quilt for my 2yr old DGD. It feels good to be completing things; the things that finish the fastest gets done first so that my pile goes down faster. Then things that are promised and so on.

I don't worry about any police unless he/she has flashing red lights and can put me in jail. I'm doing things my way since I pay for them.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM

I'm in, but I'm going to take this one moment at a time. If I can just last until I figure out how in the world I'm going to store my stash and still leave enough room in the room for when we have guests, I'll be doing good for this year. I'm the world's worst about going fabric shopping for a project, and instead of buying just what I need, buying 3-4 yards of each. Luckily, I'm 15 minutes from Hobby Lobby (the opposite direction from work, but from there I'm only 10 minutes by interstate ) and 40 minutes from the nearest Joann's, with no quilting shops in town.

I'm new to stashing, so I probably don't have the size of stash most of you do, but according to my boyfriend, it's already an issue. He took something out of the closet before Christmas and when he went to put it back, just set it outside the door so he didn't have to move half my stash to put it back.

I'm still in bags, sorted by project, or how I bought them together. I have a lot that I bought from an online yardsale group on facebook for $25 that is loaded with all kinds of goodies that I need to start using up too though. I just can't bring myself to sort it out until I have the shelving or boxes to put them in. I did finally take pictures of the panels, appliques, and stuffables that were in the lot though. Much of that part is nature related though, so I should join a swap that will allow me to get rid of some of it, lol!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM

So January passed and I'm still "master of my domain". Haven't given into recreational stash building. Actually finding it challenging and gratifying to use what I have. Since Thanksgiving, have made one queen, two generous laps, and three baby quilts, purchasing only a little for backings and the occasional sashing. Feeling kinda proud of myself.....
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM

I had started this some years ago too. I haven't bought any fabric in years. I work on collections. For instance, I am using up the Aunt Gracie line and have made four quilts out of that stash already including two king sizes. Check my threads to see lol. I even made a point of using the AG scraps to really finish off this line. The Diamond Star

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t210260.html

I am currently working on, is all out of my stash. I don't even have to buy backing or binding as I am using what I have.

I know it's hard not to buy fabric but if you don't go in the store, you won't be tempted.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 PM

Default I didn't have to buy anything!

I knew I had the panels in my stash, but it was a real treat to 'discover' enough leaf fabrics to do this quilt top. I copied this pattern from someone on the QB a few months ago. Sorry that I can't give credit to the proper person.
Attached Thumbnails img_8675.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
I knew I had the panels in my stash, but it was a real treat to 'discover' enough leaf fabrics to do this quilt top. I copied this pattern from someone on the QB a few months ago. Sorry that I can't give credit to the proper person.
Beautiful! Reminds me of fall!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Don't know if I officially signed up but I am in for sure. And so far I am doing good.... Have not bought not 1 piece of fabric for the last 2 months for sure. EXCEPT by request from my hubby who wants a baby blanked made for a co-worker who is a Clemson fan. Bought the least amount needed......co-workers wife is an LSU fan so am using fabric from my stash. Hope to make it thru to November.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Made it thru the superbowl sales!! It helps that I went to the doctor this morning and have acute bronchitis....Been working all day on hand quilting
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM

I have been good and bad. Was on vacation in Florida last week and I had to go to one fabric store since I was in the area and my friend especially found this store for me! I didnt do much damage though. Brought two fat quarters and a pattern I may give to my sewing friend for Christmas. I have stayed out of the stores around here for several reasons. Mainly I don't need anything, and I did join this challenges, also the fabric stores are about 6-10 miles away (glad they are on the other side of town) and I have been trying to stay out of any stores, away from the flu and virus bug! Today I got a baby quilt top done, just need to sew on the borders, also 4 bibs are done. Just trying to use up those scraps STILL!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 PM

I am still successfully on the wagon! It was tough but I sent three quilt tops out for quilting all came from stash... even the backings.