2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Oh my, Lady deluxe you have a fabulous stash. I have been trying to get my stash in order with no luck yet. It is my goal to have it in order like yours.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM

My goal is to get use so much of my stash that I really don't have much to organize!!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Another month down, how did everyone do? Me, not so well. My stash actually increased. I was gifted some fabric and picked up a couple sheets for backing at the thrift store. Also, I didn't quilt AT ALL. Nada. I did, however, slipcover a 21' pontoon boat. My Feb goal was to go thru and cull my quilting books. I only got thru my paper crafting and book binding books. Got rid of over 100, but didn't even start on my quilting library. There's always March!
How did you do in February and what are your plans for March?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 AM

I did well!!! Okay, I lied! I bought 3 yards of a Timeless Treasures WOW fabric that I am in love with. It has cherries on it and someday I will be making that 1930's repro fabric quilt and it will go perfect. Which would be fine as it is slated for a "future use" except I already had 3 yards in my stash. I was just afraid I wouldn't be able to find it again and I wouldn't have enough in my stash. WOWs are kinda like crack to me, love em, need em, gotta have em!

I have been at this moriatorium since July of 2012 so I think I deserved a little fix! (isn't that what addicts say to justify their addictions? I haven't drank for 3 weeks so I decided to reward myself with a bottle of whiskey, I made it through the day without killing someone so I thought I earned that line of coke, I lost 3 lbs so I treated myself to that double banana split!) Well, I didn't fall off the wagon too far so I'm no worse for the wear!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM

I made it through February with a purchase of 24" of a special print for the binding of my scrappy quilt. That quilt is on the 301 being FMQ and a batik Spicy Spiral table runner is cut out (from stash) and half sewn on another machine. Not too bad for me!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM

I did well this month and bought no fabric. I did buy a new cutting mat. My old was was over 20 years old and the new one cuts so much nicer. Now I need to figure out a good use for the old one. Templates??? Any other ideas?
Did sign up for a quilting class on making Arrowhead block or something like that but the class is in April so might have to buy fabric for that but if I do, it will get used up in the class. Will search through my stash first though when I get class requirements. Nice to be a part of this group though. :-)
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM

I think I'm doing pretty good since we started I've only bought 3 fat qtres -- oops make that 4. I'm also starting a class in march & will use from my stash as much as possible. Hopefully all of it. My husband just got laid off today soo it's going to be tight.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
I think I'm doing pretty good since we started I've only bought 3 fat qtres -- oops make that 4. I'm also starting a class in march & will use from my stash as much as possible. Hopefully all of it. My husband just got laid off today soo it's going to be tight.
Sorry about the lay off..I know it is hard to maintain your quilting fix on limited income..I am on disability, so one of the reasons I needed to join the moratorium is to help save money and still quilt....I was raised to never waste anything, but when it comes to buying a beautiful fabric that might never get used, all my upbringing goes out the window!! So far have finished a queen quilt from stash, and have begun organizing scraps for scrappy quilts...The quilt I am presently working on is for a granddaughter..since I let the other 10 grands pick their fabrics, I had to jump off the wagon and take her shopping....But it is almost done, so it never added to stash...I also used tons of coupons so it didn't cost too much!! Once this is done, I hope to work on a scrappy quilt
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I did well!!! Okay, I lied! I bought 3 yards of a Timeless Treasures WOW fabric that I am in love with. It has cherries on it and someday I will be making that 1930's repro fabric quilt and it will go perfect. Which would be fine as it is slated for a "future use" except I already had 3 yards in my stash. I was just afraid I wouldn't be able to find it again and I wouldn't have enough in my stash. WOWs are kinda like crack to me, love em, need em, gotta have em!

I have been at this moriatorium since July of 2012 so I think I deserved a little fix! (isn't that what addicts say to justify their addictions? I haven't drank for 3 weeks so I decided to reward myself with a bottle of whiskey, I made it through the day without killing someone so I thought I earned that line of coke, I lost 3 lbs so I treated myself to that double banana split!) Well, I didn't fall off the wagon too far so I'm no worse for the wear!
OH My Gosh...lol thanks for the chuckle . I am still on the wagon as far as fabric, wish i could say the same for vintage sewing machines...I was good for a month-lol
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I capped off the month buying a little over 12 yds of fabric yesterday. Yikes! About 2 of it will go to finishing a couple of baby quilts, and my daughter's going to get a new purse. March will be better!