2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
it's nice we can each make the rules that work best for us! believe it or not, i go through my e-mails and chuck out the ones that are from fabric stores. i think how bad the economy is, but i can't solely be responsible for keeping all those businesses afloat. some times i feel the weight of the burden to do just that. i have a full stash. there will be new designs. and whether i buy fabric now, or not, there will still be fabric 10 yrs from now..... and it will all be yucky polyester made to look like cotton. and we will still quilt.
I seriously doubt I will have to quilt with polyester! I have so much fabric stuffed in nooks and crannies that will never get used in my lifetime, even though I quilt about every day. But I get a thrill and high from bringing home that beautiful ,crisp, fresh piece of fabric...OOOHHHH I think I need to go shopping!!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 AM

You guys make me laugh almost every day. I save this thread to be read last because it always delights me. Do either of you notice that the wagon is a couple of miles down the road?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I am back on the wagon. I actually tossed the Joann coupon. It wasn't easy but I did it.

Last week I reported that I HAD to buy fabric for the binding of a quilt and it was the right decision. It has gone to its new home and is well loved by a whole herd of cats.

What I didn't tell you is that I bought the last of the bolt so while I needed a whopping 20" I bought 3 1/2 yards. WELL IT WAS PRETTY - - - what can I say...... lol

Last edited by MadQuilter; 07-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Martina: Tossing coupons, a major test of willpower. Buying almost 3 yards more than you needed plus not divulging the secret........bad! The reason I am sounding so smug is because I am struggling. During garage sale season I am constantly on the alert for fabric, so I could fall off anytime. Have to be smug while I still can.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 PM

pat-- resist the urge to shop!! pull out that stash and start shopping there! there is polyester looming on the horizon!! i just found a wonderful pattern that will be a cinch to make and i'm trying to clear the decks to do it. i have added a new little girl (no, not a doll) to my doll club and i am making clothes for her (and a few little things for my dolls). this means i can use some of those smaller pieces and get rid of them, thus giving me more room in case someone wants to gift me fabric. anyway, she is the bonus sister to the little girl i gave a doll and clothes and quilt to in the 1st home dec swap. then i had the brother for the 2nd home dec swap-( stranger things have happened), and now the bonus sister is visiting for the summer and i think it's only fair that she gets a package, too. so i am making some outfits for her doll, and will go to j/a's with a coupon and buy the doll. she will not, however, get a quilt.
on another burner, i have 2 dresses to make for my dgd for her birthday. i don't recall this moratorium included birthday fabric, so i'm not confessing the 10 yards of red sparkly tulle and the red and white polka dot top fabric, or the black fabric for the cumberbund (which i haven't bought yet). i ordered thread from ct and i did not get even 1 inch of fabric. yay, me! so i am being very good so far this month--can it already be the 4th? happy 4th to my usa friends! and have a super day, the rest of my friends! i will leave you all with these memorable words i just thought up, shop your stash! pull out 10 pieces of fabric and play the matching game. what pattern would work with these, or those? get excited about what you have again. i have a whole bookcase full of fabric that i can't get to, yet. so i may re-organize and shop my stash some more!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Buying almost 3 yards more than you needed plus not divulging the secret........bad!
I call it filling a gap. There wasn't much red left in the stash. (Trust me, I will rationalize my bad behavior til the cows come home. Which reminds me. I don't have black and white fabric either. lol)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM

Well Martina, just came from a yard sale advertised my some self named fabric hoarders. Can you see where this is going? Can't use your "filling in the gap" because there are no physical or color gaps in my stash. Lets see.....oh I know they were almost all (nine pieces) paisley. Now any self respecting person who came of age in the late 60's loves paisley so it was just meant to be. Sounds kind of lame even to me, maybe you can help?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM

madquilter, i fully understand! red is an important color, and one you especially like ( i remember from a swap we were in together). and , most importantly, you save money finishing the bolt. i'm sure in the excitement of the moment you forgot to tell us and were not hiding the purchase from us. it did jog my memory that i bought a little bit of red and white with ants on one fabric, and ladybugs on the other to make a hostess gift for my sweet ddil who will be housing and feeding me for nearly a month. sorry! my focus is on the trip, not the transgression. i just think it will make a lovely tabletopper for her patio table!
Emma, if i may? paisley is important to us babyboomers' mental acuity. it helps specifically in remembering the 60's and 70's which for many of us are murky and blurred and various parts missing entirely. with this timely purchase of paisley you may well have averted the early stages of alsheimer's which starts with forgetting things. therefore you can consider this purchase medicinal. it is also good for your heart which no doubt was racing (aerobic excercise) at the excitement of scoring such a hit. no doubt seratonins were released as well! what a great healthy purchase!

Last edited by nancia; 07-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
paperprincess-- i had the same thought-- only i saw d'sm fmqing it. lol
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
DustysMama: The quilt you got with the blanket for batting... If you really like the top, you could take it apart and re-sandwich it with "real" batting, since it's tied...
The top is all done in pastel plaids, like an Italian tablecloth, but pastels of all colors. I might actually take it apart at some point & redo it, but I may wait until she's gone to do it. As for the requilting, I'd come closer to sending it off to be quilted than doing FMQ on it myself. My FMQ skills are still sketchy at best. Since this is a multi-generation piece, I sure don't want to screw it up. Mother made pillow shams to match, and I have them also. I think they'd make something nice for my grandbabies someday. Of course, I'd have to get some grandbabies first, lol.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Emma, I love paisley too so I can totally understand. My sister has a friend who is nuts about the Peanuts and when she sees anything about Snoopy she "has to rescue it." Just think of it that you rescued the paisley.

I cut some strips from stash last night to make 4-patches and combine them with kid-print charm squares. At least that's the plan at the moment.