2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM

i hosey any fabric by amy butler of kaffe fassett! willing to trade services, that's not buying, right?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Hm, is the purpose of this thread to save money? That is a good question. For me I have to say saving money is not really a great motivator. Losing space in my room and losing sight of what I have is. So it only makes sense that I went to Joann last night after a bad day at work and bought some quilt paper and another marking pen (mine is dry) and then I took a leisurely trip past the quilting fabric coz I wasn't there to buy fabric. Honest! But they had the perfect backing fabric for my Sue's Nightmare quilt - some lovely "Day of the Dead" skulls with flowers. Perfectly befitting Sunbonnet Sue's Demise quilt. I couldn't resist. It was THE FABRIC I had been jonesing for and didn't know it. lol
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Martina, I still say as long as it's used and not stashed, it's okay. It's the stash that needs controlling for me. That sounds like fabric my GDs would like.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Dusty's Momma, you said, "Apparently there's a Husqvarna dealer here too that I didn't know about until yesterday. I may have to check their machines out in person too." My two cents is that before you make a final decision, do check out the Viking(now Husqvarna) dealer. I sew on a basic under $500 (but that was 10 years ago) machine that is not electronic but serves me well. I am sure they are more $$ now but this is my 2nd one since 1977 and I always get great service from any dealer I go to. I know they make more expensive ones, too so do check them out.
My fabric buying these past few weeks has just been paying for postage to get some scraps from another board member. It was well worth it because everything she sent, I can use!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

I had never read this thread before OMG what a stitch... Literally! All the ways to hide fabric, rationalize purchases by color or print, or for medicinal purposes! I'm rolling on the floor with my bad back at all I am reading! Keep writing I'm anxiously awaiting the next reasons for breaking ranks! It is so entertaining and self revealing. I am just as bad... If I buy this (or that) ill not buy anything else till next month, or till I start and finish that quilt I originally bought that fluorescent butterfly print for!! Makes me laugh!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 AM

Raine: Welcome to our group of enablers. Truth is this thread has helped me to cut back on my fabric purchases. Doing much better than in years past but having fun doing it.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 AM

I'm planning to go tomorrow to look at the Husky's, since they're open 10-2. Problem is that they are only open 10-5 during the week, and they're on the other side of town, so trying to go on my lunch break means I'd get about oh, 20 minutes to look if I didn't eat.

yes, we are a horrible group of enablers, but even with my falling & diving off the wagon, I've done better since I've been in this group. Even when I buy fabric, I'm less likely to buy it just because I like it, like I've done in the past. I think my stash needs some help though. I don't have that many things that work together without buying more. I think we need a stash trading thread...
Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 AM

I'm not sure if I've ever responded to this before, but "Heck No!!!" I have an adequate stash, but couldn't picture myself NOT buying if and when I want some. I do understand that a few years back I made a rather large quilt that used up 9 yds fabric, and when I went back to look at my fabric cabinet, I couldn't see that any space was created, opened up or anything even close. I'm sure I could benefit from a moratorium, but no thank you!

Good luck to those of you who have agreed to participate. I've got to add that I chuckled when I read one posters comment. She wanted to know if she should start her moratorium on the date she last purchased (on line) or received the fabric (that she had purchased on line), that way she can see how long she lasts!!!! Ha ha ha!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

My order came in last night and I felt my happy chemicals kick into high gear when I saw the package. DH told me "honey - you got a squishy" (a man who knows his terminology!) but when I opened it, I wasn't thrilled. So have I made it to the rank of true hoarders whose thrill is in the hunt? EEEEEEK! I shudder at the thought. On the other hand, I finished quilting a small quilt and it is ready for the binding. Then I realized I missed 2 projects from my UFO list - the total count of things ready to be quilted is actually at 17. So I have to face up to reality and get some stuff done. PROMISE! NO MORE FABRIC SHOPPING! I actually need new shoes - so I need to hunt for them.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM

madquilter-- you could look for fabric shoes and then kill two stones with one bird! certainly when we agreed to this we were not intending it to include apparel grade fabric, right? i am going to be working on 2 swap items and then a dress in cotton for my dgd and then a tulle skirted minnie mouse birthday dress for the same dgd who will be 2 on august 3rd. she gets 2 dresses since she wears one at the family do on the night before--all the out of towners get together-- and then one for the b'day spectacular the next day. i have already sent one dress, but as i suspected, i took it in too much. i can let it out when i get there or just make a new one. ten guesses which route i choose!
and i have been making doll clothes for all my little friends who have 18" dolls and for mine as well. maybe i could get extra fabric and make doll quilts (full size, if i'm "having to buy for a specific project" because i probably don't have enough yardage for matching dresses and quilts). hmmmm....i'd better go check, or just use my memory. i don't seem to remember any fabric like that..... oh, dear. i may have to go buy some. don't worry, madquilter, i will look for shoes while i'm there! does anyone have a good shoe pattern??