Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 88 of 108 FirstFirst ... 38 78 87 88 89 98 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Years ago i made dolls and sold them at craft markets, but after designing a bunch of them it became tedious. I'm not good at tedious and repetitive. The dolls I'm working with at this moment are the 18" pretend American girl dolls, especially the boys, who are so hard to find. I make the clothes and since I have a following of four little girls i keep busy, when i want. I'm starting to make halloween costumes, developed from patterns and then adding my own twist. Yes, it's true! I'm twisted, lol !!!! I need the patterns to be sure i have the right sizes and proportions. Since the girls are all pretty young there will be a lot of princesses. For my girls there will be at least one fairy, and I can see some pirates for the boys, maybe even Captain Hook , who knows! I bought some fabric perfect for mermaids, so that will have to be there too. So many ideas, so little action!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    So many ideas, so little action!
    Love that. I'm so with you there!
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    I signed up for the Peggy Martin class at Craftsy "Strip-pieced Paper Piecing" and love it. I already checked my stash for suitable contrast pieces big enough to do one of her quilt patterns. Can't wait to get started.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Madquilter- be sure and post pics of your progress with the Craftsy class. I am curious as to how it goes. Thanks.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Madquilter: Looks like a lot of fun. I have one of her other books that I really enjoy. Please let us see as you go along. Have fun.

Blog Entries
    Fell off the wagon, yet again. My cousin came over with 5 5yard bolts of raw silk. Her brother got them in Bankok in the 60s. Did I want them? Hmmm, let me think. One bolt, a brilliant red, had some white spots, maybe mildew? threw it in the washer, air dried, and it came out great!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Wow! PaperPrincess...what a score. But...what to do with them. Sounds like they would be wonderful in a quilt but would you have to put some kind of stabilizer on the back first. I have never even seen raw silk let along 5 bolts of it. Can you share a picture please? Anyone want to enlighten me as to how one would use these. :-) And red...oooh...my favorite color!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    Wow! PaperPrincess...what a score. But...what to do with them. Sounds like they would be wonderful in a quilt but would you have to put some kind of stabilizer on the back first. I have never even seen raw silk let along 5 bolts of it. Can you share a picture please? Anyone want to enlighten me as to how one would use these. :-) And red...oooh...my favorite color!
    Long story. I was making quilts out of recycled shirts. In the Detroit area, the Salvation Army has 5 for $5 on Fridays so I was going on Fridays & getting 5 (0r 10, or 15) cotton shirts. While looking for the cottons, I saw lots of washable silk shirts, also a buck, so I decided to make a silk quilt. The shirts are just amazing, mostly pastels, many are jacquards or aloha floral prints. The design I'm planning on using is a controlled scrappy, and was thinking of getting some neutral color dupioni to tie everything together. My cousin knew I was planning this quilt, but forgot she had this stashed away. She came across the bolts of fabric when cleaning. The fabric from the shirts will need to have iron on stabilizer, but I don't think I will need to stabilize the raw silk, I'll need to experiment a bit before I make the final decision however. Raw silk is a rough fabric, sort of like homespun, and the texture is a lot different from the shirts which are more, well, silky. I think the 2 textures will add a lot of interest. I was putting off starting the quilt because when my BFF heard that I was getting these shirts for a buck, she told me I couldn't cut them until her husband looked them over first. He picked out 5 for his last BD, so I guess I'm free to start. Won't be until after the holidays.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Paper Princess: That silk project really sounds exciting. You know we definitly need pictures.

By the way I keep wondering, why your Paper Princess and not Fabric Princess?

Blog Entries
    Oh dear, time to enter the confessional: I had to pick up my last installment for the wall hanging yesterday and they had already pulled the border and backing fabric. So I had to get that of course. Then I stopped at Joann's - not a smart idea particularly as I had not had breakfast yet. No good - shopping hungry. I now have 2 more Halloween prints, white premium cotton (I was totally out), and a lovely blue with swirls that I had also used up entirely. Did I NEED them - - - weeeeellll, not really.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 88 of 108 FirstFirst ... 38 78 87 88 89 98 ... LastLast