2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 PM

Hi,

My name is Jessica and I haven't bought fabric in 27 days.

I'm totally in on this commitment this year. I've bought a couple patterns and notions in 2014, but since then I've organized my little studio a bit and those are on the list now too.

I've started a pinterest board to keep track of the projects I finish without making purchases:
http://www.pinterest.com/jessicanbramer/fabric-fast-14/

And if you're super bored, I have a blog, that I sometimes update:
http://purpleturtlequilts.blogspot.com/

Getting back to the QB for a little encouragement and inspiration. =)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=jetnica;6539199] I've bought a couple patterns and notions in 2014, but since then I've organized my little studio a bit and those are on the list now too.

I here you Jessica. I also need to stop buying patterns, books, magazines, etc. Maybe I will add that to my list along with the fabric. My local quilt shop is going to hate me.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 AM

coopah did you have to run? lol.. 2.00! wow that is good.

OK here it goes. My partner from quilt for quilters. I show her five sets of blocks that I have started in Christmas. She picks one. This is good news right? ok one set had 18. she didn't pick that one. One other had 10, nope and so on she picks the one with only THREE BLOCKS DONE> crud. that wont decimate my pile much but will help me work through my stash. I was praying she would go for the reds,greens,whites.. ok.. we are going with red and white instead. lots more blocks to make now. best get my tail in gear. I spent yesterday redoing a quilt round I had done on a medallion quilt. It wasn't so simple, took out a row alright in the middle of the quilt. the unfortunate thing was the next round had a round on it and I had to remove the part like a frame within a frame? so I had to put that FRAME back on not in rows but as a frame and it was one of the tougher things I have done. making it all fit again.. argh wont do that willingly again lol heck no. today I cut parts for my medallion quilt and will be sewing my tail off to finish it before the weekend when I am supposed to show my hard work. this wont be a lazy mans week for me!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 AM

Oh, Elizabrat, the pain of removing and restitching like you did would be awful! Here's hoping it all goes well for the rest of it. You're going to love the red and white combo. I purchased fabrics (before I started with this group) and am trying to get the UFOs done so I can cut into those luscious reds. No running out of Joanne's...just took my husband!! LOL
Jessica, your intro on post #121 made me laugh! And I agree with Anoka Quilter about buying more patterns and notions. Why is it I think I have to have them all? ROTFL!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM

So far I haven't bought any material this year. or anything else for sewing. Nothing done either.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
I'm in again. I really need it. It sure did help to slow me down! I still look like a small LQS.
Me too! I could probably open my own shop, but I'm greedy!!! :-)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM

I am also working on finishing up all those UFO's I have lying around. I attend an open sew at one of the local quilt shops in my area on the 3rd Friday of each month and the only thing I work on during that time is my UFO's. I look at a UFO as something I have not worked on in a year or longer. Trust me I have a lot of those longer ones lying around.

As I start working through my stash and completing projects I plan on doing some blogs in the future, with pictures of course. Just not to that point just yet.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I almost made it to the end of the month... I have to stay out of thrift stores! Yesterday, in the fabric area, they had several saris $4. I thought the hand was silk, but only allowed myself 1. Came home, did a burn test. Yep, silk. So now I have 5.5 yards of brilliant turquoise silk with a woven fuchsia border. There's a striped portion, a solid section and a section with woven dots. I'm thinking a small row quilt, with a cotton back so it won't slip around too much, of course I have about 20 quilts do to before I start this one. Sigh. I'm sure it will make friends in my stash.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Almost to the end of the month with no purchases. Hope I can make it. In spite of what the color arbitraters do or don't say I think red and white is making a strong come back. I have been eyeing that segment of my stash, just am resisting starting another project. Feeling pretty good about my stash, I've started several quilt alongs and only used stash.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

I'm planning to use up some fabric making a few quilts for my school nurse to use for sick kids. She's new to our school and has been especially kind to me (and the kids).