2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

OK, 2015 "rules". What do you think? Should we post pics of projects made from our stash here? Post in the picture section & just link back? Have a different thread for stash busting projects? Here's the kick off text I was thinking of:
Welcome to the 2015 Fabric Moratorium. We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it!
Here are some general guidelines:
* No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from Jan 1 until Black Friday (11/27/15).
* When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for any new project will come from your existing stash.
As the year progresses, post your updates here. We can support and encourage each other, post tips on how you use your stash, and any planned new projects where you shopped your stash!
Let us know about falling off the wagon, everyone enjoys a great excuse to purchase fabric.
As stated these are guidelines, there are no Moratorium police! Just start using all that gorgeous fabric in your stash, after all, that's what you bought it for!

Comments?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM

It sounds good to me. I like the photos with the thread and not in another thread. Remembering to go to another place to check out photos takes time and brain power Some days I have neither! The fabric moratorium is great to see howlong it takes before falling off the wagon!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Sounds good to me too. Pictures are always fun.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:33 PM

PaperP...I like what you have put down as the guidelines. Would like to add pics of 'purchases when falling off wagon' too. It is fun to see what people bought and then one can think..."I had some of that!" I am going to try even harder to stick to the guidelines this coming year. Even though I will be starting my 7th decade soon, I think I still have more projects and fabric than I can use in next 20 years. I figure in my 90's I won't be sewing/quilting much! Looking forward to another fun wagon ride with all of you!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I've been doing bookwork. Along with our business I have kept track of household accounts. I instituted a quilting "budget" and pleased to say I came in under budget. Not only that 25% of my purchases were non fabric...ie batting, rotary blades, a couple of books, etc. Yeah......
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM

2014 I bought 6 yds during the year and I bought 3 packages of needles.

Thanksgiving week, Monday bought some pieces of material and two sheet at thrift shop. Then Tues I bought two more sheets . Wed I went to material store and got my quilt material..
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
PaperP...I like what you have put down as the guidelines. Would like to add pics of 'purchases when falling off wagon' too. It is fun to see what people bought and then one can think..."I had some of that!" I am going to try even harder to stick to the guidelines this coming year. Even though I will be starting my 7th decade soon, I think I still have more projects and fabric than I can use in next 20 years. I figure in my 90's I won't be sewing/quilting much! Looking forward to another fun wagon ride with all of you!
Ah, yes, you can still be sewing in your 90's. We have one spry lady in our church who puts us 'youngers' to shame. She does her quilts the old fashioned way, but they are beautiful! So, see, you have a lot to look forward to...and there's more fabric out there just waiting for you! (I'm an enabler!)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:27 PM

I started keeping a running inventory of input and used. I'm not sure it was such a good idea. Lets just say to date its been counter productive. I think I would need to finish three queen sizes both front and back from stash to break even. Jan 1st I'm getting back on that wagon and going nail my shoes to the floor.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Final tally for 2014: quilts (start to finish) completed = 15, quilt tops completed = 3, and 1 beading project 1/2 way done.
Spent 62% less this year than in 2013. (Not bad since at least 2/3 of my spending was limited to backings, sashings and borders.)
I'll go for the moratorium goal again in 2015. I'm heading in the right direction!
Some of you have sure done well. Talk about self discipline!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM

Emma, nailing your shoes to the wagon floor won't prevent you from stepping out of them and jumping off. Save your nails and just ride along as best your can. :-) Coopah...you are an enabler but aren't we all. I really keep telling myself I will do better in 2015 and that is about all I can do. I hate resolutions so won't make any but still, like you all, I am going to try my darnedest to use my stash first!