Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2015--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have not done that with these ones yet - but I sure have done that a time or two!

I also machine baste the places that match up and get them good before I sew the whole seam. Sometimes I've taken out and rebasted three times before I'm happy.
I have machine basted until the paper looks machine-gunned! Somehow if I don't hit it the first time it can take a few tries. I do it the way she shows in the video that came with the book.

Well here it is! I still need to learn more about color values but I'm getting there. It was something of a trial (did I mention that the tension went haywire at one point, and twice I forgot to set at 1.5 when I restarted the machine after a break) but glad to be on to Idaho. I am doing it in navy, light blue, a very bluish red/rose and white.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515272[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0983-full-size.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

stunning stars. each one is prettier than the next. Beautiful!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM

SueSew, that is absolutely gorgeous. Been enjoying the blocks and hope to get back to mine mid-April. Got some things to be finished up.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 PM

MacyBaby your blocks are wonderful and I especially like Vermont.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:07 AM

Thanks Quilter 65 - I hope you find time to get back to your blocks - we need more people doing this so we don't get lonely!

I'm taking today off work to finish up a set of 12 white/cream vestments (shirts for alterboys) for the Chapel where I work (It's a non-denominaitonal school for Native American kids with a church on campus). The fun part, they are batik with ribbon sewn on, and I get to keep all the scraps - got purple, white, green and red - not sure what I'll do with them . . .
Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 AM

Thanks Lynnie and Quilter65! It can get a bit lonely up here in the stars, like Macybaby said. I'm just doing one star at a time, using up my leftover batiks, no master plan, no material list.

Maybe instead of thinking of all 50, just try one or two at a time? It's fun to choose the colors for each star. The stars are all a bit different but after a while (I am on #12) you can see they are actually pretty similar in construction. Macybaby has done some really cool fussy-cutting and changed around the color combinations to shift the patterns in hers. Lots of room to improvise! You can even switch pieces so half the points are one state and half are another. The whole thing fits in one of those plastic latching boxes from Joann's so there's plenty of room for other projects in your space. They can be done smaller if you like a challenge, or just want a little wall hanging. Finally, the possibilities for making silly puns on the states and stars, or singing songs which have the state's name in them, preferably off-key, are endless!!! Fun fun fun!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 AM

I think it would be really neat to research each state a bit and pick colors that "went" with the state.

However that would have messed up my plan for what I'll end up with - but it would be a neat idea! Right now the "names" don't seem to have any connection to the blocks, just a neat way to name 50 of them.

I still catch myself humming "I am Woman" when doing these . . . should never have watched the instructional video!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 AM

Hurrah for Idaho! I think it's plain but by the looks of it Illinois is full of little pointy things and will make up for it! Hope you all had a lovely holiday!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516033[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0997.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 PM

SS that is so pretty. Don't think it is plain at all. Very striking. Really like the corner material. Batik?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 AM

Suesew - I look at them and think "Ok Good - it's a simple one!" all those little pointy things look scary to me LOL!!

Though I've been getting interested in mini quilts and was looking at the guy that makes those teeny-tiny PP ones. So I think I'm going to experiment with these a bit - pick the simplest one, and see just how small I can go with it.