Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 07-28-2016, 06:43 AM

Welcome to the best thread on the board SheriR! That dresden just takes my breath away. It's sooooo pretty!

What's up next in the UFO pile?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 AM

Love your quilts Sherri! Especially the winding border on your last pic. Great finishes!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Hi SheriR, it is fun to finally get those UFOs done. The Monkey off back is a great way to put it. I have lots more, but the time for quilting is a bit short right now. Doing customer quilts kindof puts yours on back burner, then that binding. Fraew, I have been known to trade quilting for binding. Yep, do it lots. When they are show quilts, I have to do the binding though. No, these are not all show quilts. Well here is another one that is finished finally. This was started about a two years ago. Used up scraps from a couple quilts to get them out of the house and it sat. Did get the backing in December at a Christmas sale then it sat again. Did the quilting the beginning of this month and it sat again, now it is done. Oh yeah, machine bound this one. That tree skirt may get done today, we will see.,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554789[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails nine-patch-front.jpg   nine-patch-back.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 AM

QuilterMomma, Love your nine patch. Great color selection.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Thanks ladies. The purple quilt above I made during a medallion quilt along hosted by Jaba and Elisabrat. I had one more border for it sitting for that long. Last week I looked at it and decided it was DONE. The border I used with something else I'll show next week after I get it bound.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 AM

Oh, my goodness! Look at all the fabulous UFO finishes in the last two days. Toot Toots go out to Fraew, QuilterMomma, JuanitaBean and SheriR for their combined 10 (TEN!!!) finishes. Wow, they are all wonderful. Congratulations to all four of you and to the other mini-challenge participants as you put us over the top of the 22 needed for the challenge. Combined, we've had 25 finishes since July 10. Woo, hoo!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM

You mean I don't have to fret for any more finishes this month? Well I am off the hook for binding this month. HA HA
Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
My good friend fraew told me about this ufo thread! How did I not know before today? Where have I been? So in the spirit of ufo finishing.....

The first I actually finished the last week of June. It's for my daughter's wedding gift. I'm going up for her bridal shower this weekend and will deliver finish 2, 3, 4, and 5. The Dresden Plate quilt is made from Scraps of my mother in laws fabrics. I started it 3.5 years ago with one plate that sat alone until this June. The Warm Wishes quilts are for my niece. She asked me to make her little boy a John Deere quilt to fit his new twin bed. Then she wanted a matching golf quilt for his grandpa. The princess Warm Wishes is a surprise for her three year old daughtier. It's smaller than twin size and I'm ok with that. The purple wallhanging is for one sister in law. It's from Grandma's stash too. They were all finished this month! I call them "monkey's off my back!"
Love your quilts, SheriR!! They're ALL just beautiful!

We're all having fun this month getting some finishes done, and ta-dah!! I have one too. I'll post the pics later, but the "flimsy" that is my avatar is my July UFO finish! I had hoped to get more done, but my sewing room doesn't have A/C, so my quilting has to be done either late at night, or first thing in the morning. The temps here have been in the mid-to-high 90's, so I stand it as long as I can, then head to where I can be in the A/C.
(My sewing room is an enclosed, former car-port, so heat or A/C is pretty limited.)

I've been digging through boxes and totes, trying to find something quick to finish. <sigh> Nothing appeals.
I have three tops that I bought at a yard sale years ago, I had thought to just use some cheap backing fabric and panto or FMQ those... but after looking at them again... ehhh... I'm not so motivated to finish them.

What do you think, ladies? Panto/FMQ them, and cut up for animal shelter pads? Or send the flimsies on to someone else who might actually want them?

Leta, in hot, sticky, sweltering Upstate SC
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
I just can't stand binding. Anyone want to finish it for me? I have 11 more points on tree skirt to do. Then all the scallops on the GFG. O blasted!
I'm not a fan of binding either. I'm getting better at it, especially from doing all these UFO finishes, but I just do not enjoy that aspect of quilting.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Oh what lovely additions. I have one that needs to be finished on Sunday but right now I am spending more time in reverse than forward.