2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 AM

Sorry to hear about the job Leta.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Leta, the right job will come. Hang in there!

Cerise, welcome aboard!

Update on the hospital quilt - Apparently the pennant quilt was the big item at their raffle. I'm happy. Now there are potential customers who want me to make quilts from baby clothes or t-shirts. I don't do that. I told my friend who works there and she was shocked. She recently lost her husband and my only break from the fabric moratorium was to get fabric for a little lap quilt for her. I gave it to her yesterday when she was on her way to work. I told her to bring the quilt in with her to show them what nice people who write thank you's get. I suggested that perhaps I'd get orders that way. She asked how much would I charge. I told her I'd have to figure it out. She suggested $75! I don't think so. The fabric cost over $30, never mind the batting, thread, and my time. She was shocked again. People look at cheap quilts in Walmart and base their prices on that. *sigh* Anyway, here's her quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573444[/ATTACH]
This quilt is very striking, I really like it. I fell, fell, fell, hard for me off the wagon this weekend. I got about $60 worth of material. Most of it I know or have an idea what I will do with it. But how do you resist good quality material at $1.99 clearance. I tried to walk away, but my feet came right back and I had to follow them. I'm happy. So I'll get back on with plenty of work to keep me busy and distracted from other eye catching sales.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I agree: the right job is just waiting, leta. You seem to have many options and that is always a step in the right direction. Are you registered with temp agencies? My company generally goes through an agency for placement.

My sewing time just seems to have dried up. My BFF needs my help right now with life stuff and to top it off hubby is dealing with kidney stones AGAIN. I feel so bad for him as he is in massive pain. There is nothing I can do to help and there is nothing he can do but ride it out.

Maybe this afternoon I will get some sewing done.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 PM

Madquilter: Both of my boys have had kidney stones. My youngest has had them several times. Like you said, there's nothing you can do to help them. I hope your friend gets through her life stuff quickly. You are a good friend.

Connie
Old 05-25-2017, 05:17 AM

Kidney stones OUCH! Hope he feels better soon Martina. Leta sorry about job and hope one comes through soon.

Krystyana lovely quilt.

I took a trip to see youngest son and did some shopping so you can guess what came home with me. Still I think I did pretty good as three yards are for projects - one for binding on my never ending (or at least it feels like it sometimes) bargello quilts and two for a baby quilt for DH's co-worker.

Two FQs found their way in there as well as they were too gorgeous to pass up.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Such restraint, elly. I am really impressed. We are going to a wedding on the coast this weekend and I wonder if a stop at the LQS (which is fabulous) is going to happen. Last time DH surprised me by remembering exactly how to get there. I swear, he has a built-in GPS. He is feeling 100% again btw and thanks everyone for their well wishes.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Keep strong folks...I was strong only by default.... I was out east visiting our new grandsons...made a doll quilt for their big sister. A friend mentioned there was a sewing center in a nearby area. DDIL took me there...a bust. It just sold machines...nice try though...
Old 05-29-2017, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Leta: that's disappointing, but something better will come up.
Martina: glad to hear that your hubby is better.
The month is almost over and I was sort of good fabric-wise, but did spend some money on gadgets & books. I see a quilt somewhere, look on Amazon for the book and spy a used copy for $2 (I blithely ignore the shipping charge). That darned 'buy it now' button keeps getting me in trouble! Also, Accucquilt had their 50% off Studio die sale... It's pretty easy to spend $100 for free shipping, but I only got one small die and actually paid for postage. What restraint! My niece's husband retired & went thru all his ties, keeping only his very favorites. He gave me almost 70, almost all silk. Threw them in the washer & dryer per internet instructions. It really is amazing as all the silk washed beautifully. Spent a couple nights taking them apart and looking on pinterest for quilt ideas. Now to experiment with iron on stabilizer.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I was good - well, in the fabric arena anyway. The imbibing arena not so much. I think my poor liver needs to detox. All we did was eat, drink, and make merry. The wedding was wonderful and the bride and groom jumped in the Pacific ocean after the I DOs. That is taking the plunge to a whole new level as that water is CCCCCCOLD.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:19 PM

I've been good this month -- no fabric purchases. And I used about 8 yards from my stash. Finished up this puppy, and except for binding finished another quilt. Plus making two dozen quilt squares for 2 swaps on another board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573964[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573965[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails brown-batik-quilt.jpg   bright-stars-quilt.jpg