Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 11-23-2014, 04:25 PM

I dug out my book today. I've got most of the blocks copied. I apparently was going to start it at some point. This is just the umph I needed to get it done.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 AM

I've had this book for quite a while now. I thought it would be a great project to play with my machine embroidery sofsoftware but I never seemed to be ready to start it. Now I'm gathering my fabric and looking forward to starting.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 AM

use another background fabric.i like the color of a paper bag[best description I have].yellow is also a great background fabric.it pops the batiks.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 PM

I have a question about this---I have found just the book and on another site I found the patterns along with embroidery formats and that cost $95---am I assuming right that this is just the book with applique patterns and the applique is sewn on by hand or satin stitch? A lot of difference in price.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 AM

Marlenec I bought the book and it is patterns intended for hand or machine applique. I always thought it would be a good project for me to digitize myself for my embroidery machine with the simple shapes being a good background for some decorative fills and stitches.
I did see the machine embroidery package for $95. It looks to be a satin stitch around each shape with the hand embroideries from the original pattern digitized as well. Very pretty but I wanted to do my own.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 AM

I've actually seen the embroidered one. It was gorgeous! This one's been on my bucket list for quite some time. But, I'm thinking of a different way to do it. I'm thinking of tracing it onto the background fabric, quilting it & then painting it. Also thinking of doing Fiesta de Telavera the same way. What do ya'll think? Can I pull this off?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 AM

I would love to see that cindy60545. I had thought that it would be a fun way to work on it as well before deciding on the machine embroidery. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress if you decide to join the QAL. Also loved the fiesta de telavera. They are patterns that really invite you to use color and embellishment I think.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Cindy, that idea sounds amazing! If you do try it, please let us know how it goes.

Marlene, as Coffeecozy said, the book itself contains only the patterns to trace for machine or hand applique and not the embroidery machine patterns. (I have heard rumors that I may be getting an embroidery machine for Christmas and am torn as to whether to attempt this quilt on it or not).
Old 11-25-2014, 05:25 PM

Okay friends, I just thought I'd post a few notes on preparation and fabric requirements, and a couple tidbits to keep in mind.

The patterns in the book are designed for a 7" x 7" finished block. Your background squares will be cut to 9" x 9" and then trimmed to 7.5" square once the applique is completed. If you are enlarging, enlarge your background squares by the same percentage as you do the pattern.

The layout in the book will result in a 62" x 62" quilt (this includes the borders).
If you enlarge your blocks, please remember to calculate the additional yardage that you will need. If you are planning a different layout, you will likely need additional background fabric. I am thinking about putting my block on point and will therefore need to get enough additional background fabric for setting triangles.

Prepare your fabric with your favorite method. I'm a die hard prewasher and a big fan of starch.

I strongly recommend that you read the General Instructions on Pages 7 - 16. They do not really contain information on HOW to applique, so try these websites for details: Machine Applique with Fusible Webbing and Needle Turn Applique Tutorial

I wouldn't attempt this quilt without all of your support and cheering, so thank you very much to all for jumping on the bandwagon!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-02-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: remove copyright details
Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 PM

I am a convert to the washing and starch brigade. When i started with my very first quilt I was soo keen to get cracking I did not prep at all. After a few projects and reading a lot about fabric prep on this board I thought I would give it a go and see if it made any difference. I now prewash, though I am not sure if the prep seems to have a calming effect as the time it takes to wash,dry and iron gives me time to pause and think out the project in hand, thus prep both in mind and fabric!