Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
ART Quilt Challenges Monthly >

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Gorgeous Wendy! Thank you for posting and with instructions for what has worked for you. It sounds very doable to and for me. Your shade tree reminds me of the tall, old weeping willow trees in our yard. When I look at your quilt the brown beads depict the soil line and the scattered beads like soil that is below the surface. It's an excellent choice of beads for that. If I missed the mark of what it represents, my apologies. Thank you for posting so many photos to give us a real close up look. There is so much to learn by studying your photos. Wow.
Linda~ you are right on with your interpretation . I'm glad to hear it.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Wendy- Thanks for your generous offer of help with the art of trapunto.....when I get going you're likely to hear from me many times. It's just so pretty.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM

After seeing what others have posted I feel like a preschooler, but here is what I am working on. I have been practicing zen doodles and so I decided to use the leaves on a wallhanging. I have highlighted the zen doodles with gold Lumiere paint. Haven't decided on the border yet, but as I am also practicing New York Beauties, I may do that for a wavy border.
Attached Thumbnails zen-art-quilt-w-gold-paint.jpeg   zen-orange-leaf-w-gold-paint.jpeg  
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM

polyjvan9~Your zendoodle leaves are just FABULOUS! Please tell us more about how you did them.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
polyjvan9~Your zendoodle leaves are just FABULOUS! Please tell us more about how you did them.

Yes, they are are amazing. I would also like to know more. Wow, it really pops the leaves.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM

pollyjvan9- Your leaf wallhanging is so pretty. I'll be watching for more info as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
Good morning all. I've been following this thread and enjoying all the wonderful info here! Hopefully I'll get some pics posted soon of some things I've been experimenting with. I'm new to "art" quilting, but have been an avid seamstress and quilter for almost 40 years; this is a new endeavor for me and I appreciate all the discussion, sharing and tips here. I've been experimenting with fabric dyeing, trying different embellishments, learning to use Shiva Oil Paintstiks, and anything else I can think of lately. Here's a link to my first Paintstik experiment: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t193775.html
Looking forward to spending more time here!!!
Welcome and love seeing your gorgeous work. I love both the inspiration and the ideas on how you used the paintsticks. Thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 AM

azwendyg------------I felt like it needed some embellishment so I added a bunch of beading, but am not totally happy with that....

I've been looking at this quilt in minute detail for so long, I don't feel like I have a good sense how it is in respect to overall design/impact anymore...

Suggestions and comments please???

Boy do I understand that dilemma! As an author you get so sick of looking at a project you can't see a misspelled word like odg

I personally agree with you. I think the top could use just a bit of livening. Here are my first thoughts which you may well have experimented with already. On scraps of course-- did you try some smudges of perhaps a metallic paint for the illusion of fluttering leaves here and there? Maybe some very delicate strings of almost invisible beads dancing along the green? Just some ideas......

Love your technique and your workmanship. Almost makes me weep in frustration for the lack of finesse in my work!

Watching to see where you go with this...........
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
...I personally agree with you. I think the top could use just a bit of livening. Here are my first thoughts which you may well have experimented with already. On scraps of course-- did you try some smudges of perhaps a metallic paint for the illusion of fluttering leaves here and there? Maybe some very delicate strings of almost invisible beads dancing along the green? Just some ideas......

Love your technique and your workmanship. Almost makes me weep in frustration for the lack of finesse in my work!

Watching to see where you go with this...........
Thanks for the suggestions Suzie. I want do some more experimenting and try out some of your ideas. I just ordered some additional iridescent colors of Paintstiks that should come by the middle of next week. Maybe I can do some random shading on some of the FMQ leaves... I've also thought about adding more crystal seed beads to the tree... We'll see!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Love what's being posted, great work!