Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
ART Quilt Challenges Monthly >

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Acrylic mediums are not actually made for textile use. They're main use is by painters and they have been adopted by textile artists right along with acrylic paints. There are all types...gel mediums, crackle mediums, texture mediums, glazing mediums, and so on...all for use with acrylic paints. Fabric and textile mediums are different.

There is a wealth of information on the Dick Blick website, including videos on almost everything you can imagine. Here's the section on fabric painting...videos are at the bottom or you can just click on the video icon.
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/fabricdecoration/

The site is very easy to navigate. Want to see how Shiva paintstiks work? Select S from the directory, click on Shiva in the brand list on the right side of the screen, click on the video icon or page down and select the video.
It's that simple. It's a superior store, too, btw.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 PM

I live near a dick blick's love it
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM

While you are playing around... did you ever hear of dying with rust? Some interesting ideas on various google sites.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Acrylic mediums are not actually made for textile use. They're main use is by painters and they have been adopted by textile artists right along with acrylic paints. There are all types...gel mediums, crackle mediums, texture mediums, glazing mediums, and so on...all for use with acrylic paints. Fabric and textile mediums are different.

There is a wealth of information on the Dick Blick website, including videos on almost everything you can imagine. Here's the section on fabric painting...videos are at the bottom or you can just click on the video icon.
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/fabricdecoration/

The site is very easy to navigate. Want to see how Shiva paintstiks work? Select S from the directory, click on Shiva in the brand list on the right side of the screen, click on the video icon or page down and select the video.
It's that simple. It's a superior store, too, btw.
Had to check it out and it will take a while to watch them all. I love this site. I'll be learning so much. Easy to navigate as well. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I.ve painted shirts with celery. It looks like roses.
Cut the whole thing about half down,put acryllic
paint onthe cut end,lightest out to darkest in center
Then stamp away
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi Lynnie!
That's a new one for me. Wish I knew of celery prints when teaching summer school art! Dotty
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM

sounds like great fun! sorry i've missed visiting this week! had some oral surgery on monday and i still feel like a' mack truck got 'all up in my grillwork'. had a great time in dallas with all of our children and the assorted in=laws (and out-laws). olivia is now 1 year, 2 weeks old, and no, i do not intend to announce her age every week. lol
i have rec'd 2 quilts, quilted for me by a dear friend, so i will be doing the work that binds. also, the boomerang i'm in has started, and the dq swap. sure is fun being retired==so much time to do nothing! LOLOLOL did i mention the wallhanging swap rhonda is hosting? yup. just lazing around-- NOT! tomorrow, or later today, i will be attending a program on machine embroidery. sounded like a good idea since i do not know how to use my machine. so young, and so much to learn!! must be the pain pills that are crackin' me up! 8-) oh, goodness, forgot to mention, most important! the quilts were beautifully done by my friend. simple and tasteful! one goes to a 6 yr old buddy of mine, and the other goes to a sick friend of my son's. these will be the first 'life size' quilts i have done. i am so pleased with how they look now!! sunday i am doing art work while all the fabric washes, or i'll die trying!! so frustrating! how do artists work on drugs?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Good heavens here it is 2/3's of the way thru August! Where is it going?

Been working on my projects here and there when I can get the $$ making projects out of the way for a bit. And of course I always have my 'briliant' artsy ideas when there is no time to execute them...........

Hope you guys are all playing and having huge amounts of fun. I know I am dying to see photos and info as to what you are all up to.

BTW got out a piece of 3 year old Bubble Jet treated fabric yesterday. I'd double bagged it in plastic and shipped it down here. It printed beautifully and when I went to wash and rinse it almost nothing came out of it! I lost almost no color. Don't know if inks have changed in the last little while or what. This printer does use ink and not dye so I know that is not the difference. Also I had made and printed on this fabric b4 left CA so I know it wasn't fabric content. Wondering if age doesn't help the setting process? Anyway I am delighted.

One of my next projects is to try out an online recipe I have unearthed for a Bubble Jet substitute. I can't afford to ship something with that kind of weight down here regularly. Will let you all know what kind of success I have.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 AM

nancia you are one busy girl! Glad life is so satisfying......and I am so jealous of your grandkids. My offspring assure me they are not having any. Since they are in their mid 30's I am losing hope they will change their minds. You are so lucky to get to have some and I don't mind hearing about how wonderful they are
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I.ve painted shirts with celery.
VERY cool idea! I will be doing that this summer!