Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Build a quilt around a central character you design >

Build a quilt around a central character you design

Build a quilt around a central character you design

Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Thanks huntersgrammie. I'm having fun with my monster.

charlottemarie - I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Toby and pals.
Ouch!! I hope your arm heals quickly. I think hubby was correct to banish you from the sewing area, for a short period. No point in taking the chance of making things worse.

I wanted to work on Franky last night but had to take an antihistamine during the day. Despite them being the non-drowsy kind, they affect me for 48 hours or more. I am super wonky. So, as much as it bugged me, I made the choice to stay away from Franky until I have all my faculties again. Of course, it didn't keep me from coming to work.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 AM

works4me, I'm okay today, was able to unbandage. I understand how antihistamines work, they mess me up like that for days. I have a little air cleaner that I bought at Sears, and I hooked it up in the sewing room. I have felt a lot better since then. I was having very bad headaches and couldn't figure out what was causing it. That's the way it always is, my doctor (allergist) back in Texas told me it is usually the things you love most that cause you the problem. Boy was he ever right. It's just so hard to believe my wonderful fabric stash would give me pain other than in the wallet.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 AM

Works4me - Franky is looking great. So when do we get the first hint of who is friends might be??
Charlottemarie - Glad to know your arm is ok and on a quick mend. Looking forward to seeing Tobys' newest friend

My monster and his friends are waving at me from my work wall. Patiently waiting for me to get to them. Life has had me very occupied lately and has slowed my progress on all of my quilting projects. Hopefully I can focus and make some progress today.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM

charlottemarie: Glad it seems to have been relatively minor, or at least not as bad as it could have been.

I have a ton of allergies but, thankfully, my fabric isn't one of them. How horrible. But, you seem to have found a way around it so you can continue to do what you love.

Jenniky: Franky will be surrounded by Halloween fabric sampler blocks but will have friends in his backing and corner squares.
This is the backing fabric. It was just too perfect to pass up.
http://www.ladybuttonfabrics.com/cgi...ategory=28&v=1
And the store owner was AMAZING!! She was so easy to deal with

How is packing going? It won't be long now.

Yes, monsters can be quite patient.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

W4Me .... or perhaps I should address this to Franky? Isn't it fun to see all those little squares come together!! Franky is looking frighteningly good!!! (to quote HuntersGrammie) Great backing fabric indeed!!!!!

CharlotteMarie ... shivers went up and down my spine when I read of your accident. YIKES!!!!!!! I hope it is healing and you are able to be back cutting and sewing. Or perhaps your DH will offer to master the art of rotary cutting?

Jenniky ... counting the days to the big moooooooove? I'm sure you are more than organized!! And hope you have OBEYED DH's and your family's orders. How exciting to be moving to your new Home Sweet Home!

Me?
... somewhat back, amidst things ... I'm suffering dreadfully as there's been no sewing for me in over a month now! And it's not looking good for the next month either!!!!!! (yes, whimper and whine!)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM

I'm all healed and ready to sew again. I have to finish up a quilt for my customer, I know she will show up and wonder what I've done. I have 5 or more quilts to finish up for her. Her quilter passed away and she met me at my garage sale and she brought me a ton of fabric to finish up. I have all my pretty quilt blocks ready to finish up and
put sashing on. Won't be long now.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 AM

I love all the creativeness! Keep the pictures coming! I love seeing work in progress.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM

So good to hear you are mended charlottemarie. One busy lady, too.

Good to have you back QuiltE. I hope you can sneak a little sewing in there somewhere. Or maybe a side triip for more stash?

Me, I now have a headless monster. No, not the headless horseman, that's a different character. lol

Heeere's Franky as of this morning:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362022[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pict0198.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Franky was a very patient monster and waited all through July and August for me to have time to stitch him together and bring him to life. He is 11 days late, according to my BOM schedule. But, I'm having so much fun with this quilt that I don't think I will be sticking to my schedule.

When I quilt, I will give Franky's feet, legs and arms definition. I will also add his neck knobs using chain stitch and some great spider web buttons I have. His eyes may be spider buttons. Haven't decided that yet, which kind of surprises me as he he seems to have come to life all on his own.

So, say hello to Franky.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362115[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails franky-done-sep-11-2012.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Hellooo Franky! He looks great, a monster after my own heart! You are so patient to bring him to life like that!