Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 60 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Scrappy Swoon Quilt Along

Giant Scrappy Swoon Quilt Along

­GIANT SCRAPPY SWOON QUILT ALONG

I have seen these quilts online for quite some time andhave been absolutely infatuated with them.I have been so inspired I thought, let’s all get together and do anonline Quilt-Along QB style and see how many wonderful scrappy Swoon quilts wecan create together.The really coolpart about doing a quilt along is there is no mailing, no swapping, and nofuss.Heck!Not really even deadlines unless, of courseyou choose to keep up with the group. Ihope you do but that’s up to you!

I’m a huge proponent of giving credit where credit is dueand this quilt along was originally offered online by Jennifer Harrison ofHopeful Homemaker in 2013 and she was inspired by Camille Roskelley’s Swoonpattern.

I plan on posting new steps and instructions monthly forfive months so we should be finished by the end of September.The finished quilt will measure 72” x72”.

• The background calls for 8 fat quarters plus twoadditional 3 7/8 inch squares
    • Primary fabric (the center star): 16 – 3 7/8 inch strips (cut 4 – 3 7/8 inchsquares of 3 fabrics ) OR 7 fat quarters(you’ll have extras) OR some combination of the two
    • Secondary fabric (the outer ring): 15- 3 7/8 inch strips plus another 3 – 3.5inch strips OR 8 fat quarters (you’ll have extras) OR some combination of thetwo.

That’s a total of 5 ¾ yards + of fabric!!! That should make a big dent in your stash,right?? Please use your preferred methodfor making your HST’s. Personally, I wouldcut 4” rather than 3 7/8” but it’s entirely up to you.

Let’s get started! Please jump in and join thefun. We are going to have a great time!

Jane

Davenport, IA (winter) Backus, MN (summer}
    Blog Entries
    I would be interested in joining!

Woo Hoo! Jump in! It's going to be great. I encourage you to check out pics online to get some ideas. The possibilities are endless.

Jane

Blog Entries
    Oh I think I want too, but I will need to get a pattern from somewhere, I have never actually seen the pattern in stores in my area, although I have seen lovely quilts posted. When does this start, and do we just post to this thread or is there a group somewhere?
    fatquarters

fatquarters - no pattern needed. It's not the smaller size. We'll be making sections using squares and HST's over the course of 5 months. I'll post the instructions here. Will post pics here too.

I'll probably start posting next week.

Jane

Here are some examples:

This one is a little different in color placement but the same idea:

Jane

In the meantime, start figuring out which color you want in which spot. The background does not have to be white or light colors. Or decide on a theme, i.e., 30's, Civil War reproduction, Christmas, etc.

Jane

Blog Entries
    Sorry Jane, I misunderstood, and thought you were making the real swoon quilt, These are kind of pretty too.
    fatquarters

I've been wanting to do a Swoon quilt, so I think I'll jump in with both feet.....it may not be too scrappy though, as my scrap pieces are so small right now......I've used all the larger pieces on another scrappy quilt that I'm trying to finish now.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    Jane -- I've never heard of this pattern before, but looks like fun! I like the idea of using scraps -- scrappy quilts are my very favorite. And not needing a pattern is a plus, too! I will check out my stash & see what colors I can pull together. Hope I can keep up! Thanks for the invite!
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

Page 1 of 60 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast