Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
On the question of neutrals, do you think if you aren't using a large variety of neutrals, you should stick to just one? I'm currently looking for a neutral to use throughout the quilt, to replace my numerous black and white prints, something that would add a little more interest than my current neutrals that read as white. Suppose I find two I like, or three. Would it look strange to use a small number like two or three, rather than sticking with just one? I hope my question is clear. If you're going with a variety of neutrals, how big a variety do you think it needs to be?
This is always my dilema with scrappy quilts. In my opinion, you need more than 2-3 to make it scrappy and not risk it looking unbalanced. Personally I'd want 5-10. I did my first BH mystery (Orca Bay) scrappy. But I only had I think 5 (maybe 6) black/white prints. And I felt stuck - it was difficult to spread the fabrics out so I didn't have a clump all the same together. Rather than 2-3, I'd stick with one if you don't want to go all-out scrappy.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I am not phased by 3 1/2" squares but would prefer NOT to do it in bits and pieces. Once I get my head around a block construction visually and I can make the blocks accurately, I prefer to do it all at once, or my consistency drops dramatically. I have a terrible time doing something the same way twice!!! LOL This is going to be a lot of fun!!!
Ah, but that's the beauty of Bonnie's mystery. You will do ALL of one block part at once. So, for example in the Celtic Solstice quilt that someone posted a photo of, all of the those green/yellow pieces were made in the same step. And then you never needed to make another chevron (thank goodness! )

The trick is to not get scared when Bonnie says 'cut 200 2.5" squares'. This is why I do half-size quilts LOL
Old 11-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Ah, but that's the beauty of Bonnie's mystery. You will do ALL of one block part at once. So, for example in the Celtic Solstice quilt that someone posted a photo of, all of the those green/yellow pieces were made in the same step. And then you never needed to make another chevron (thank goodness! )

The trick is to not get scared when Bonnie says 'cut 200 2.5" squares'. This is why I do half-size quilts LOL
That's why I also do half-size quilts.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 AM

You can google the Valspar paint company and find all these colour chips on line. We don't have Lowe's here and I didn't feel like driving an hour to a shop that carries that paint brand. Just in case anyone else is interested in looking at them this way.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
This is always my dilema with scrappy quilts. In my opinion, you need more than 2-3 to make it scrappy and not risk it looking unbalanced. Personally I'd want 5-10. I did my first BH mystery (Orca Bay) scrappy. But I only had I think 5 (maybe 6) black/white prints. And I felt stuck - it was difficult to spread the fabrics out so I didn't have a clump all the same together. Rather than 2-3, I'd stick with one if you don't want to go all-out scrappy.
Thanks so much for this input! It looks like I have just enough non-black neutrals I can use if I don't find a single fabric I want to use throughout.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
I will be out of town with my sons football team over the TGiving weekend. Part of me wants to bring my MQ fabric and cutting tools... I doubt I'll have time to atually use them though. Yes- I'm that crazy!
Take it with you. Gives you something to do in your hotel room. I take projects all the time on travel but usually by myself.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:03 PM

oh, Kristakz, tell me there is an 'extra' zero there......really 20, right not that other number
Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
oh, Kristakz, tell me there is an 'extra' zero there......really 20, right not that other number
I'm afraid the number will be more like 200 than 20. Bonnie likes to work with lots of small pieces. But as Kristakz suggests, you can always do a half or quarter size quilt.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
The Mystery I did, that is not finished yet only had 600 2" hst's.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:32 PM

ok, good to know, wrapping my mind around this.......sure that some will be chain pieced,,,,the trick there is to not run out of bobbin thread !