Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
International Patriotic Challenge >

International Patriotic Challenge

International Patriotic Challenge

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by works4me View Post
My fellow Canadian QuiltE and I would like to issue a patriotic challenge. Since Canada Day and Independence Day fall so close to one another we thought it would be fun to issue a challenge to everyone to complete a quilt or other craft item in a patriotic theme. I have a Maple leaf quilt to do and QuiltE has a Mountie so we are all set.

Of course, if you do not live in North America, we don’t want to leave you out. We’d love to see what you have for patriotic items on which to work and we can learn a little about your days of independence or incorporation or freedom.

Try something new, mug rugs, table runner, pot holders. Me, I'm trying corner triangles. Mine will be a car quilt for any car shows we do, either in Canada or in the US, on July 1.

Show us your country spirit. But do it before July 1, 2012. - That is Canada's 145th birthday. I know we are babies in the world. How old is your country?

This is my the very beginnings of my project. I have adapted the pattern to include a cross stitched maple leaf as the centre square.[ATTACH=CONFIG]328260[/ATTACH]

Kathy

HI,

Can I ask where u got all the nice "Reds", i love the color red, I am trying to get enough collected to make a log cabin.

Thanks for you're help

Mary
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi coopah: Our car club managed 10 cars last year when we weren't even organizing the car show portion of the event so we can get a lot of people out. We are entering the 2006 MINI, not the 1974 Mini we have. We have received flack for the MINI previously but, once we tell people it is a special edition, 1 of only 64 in the world, and has 210 hp, they seem to appreciate it suddenly. We will also enter our 1960 Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 (BugEye) which we are just finishing. Later in the year, the BugEye is going on a 1500 mile three day tour and then a trip to Maryhill, Washington for the Car is King weekend. A trip to the far south would only be accomplished on a car trailer, I think.

Next time you visit, give me aheads up.

Are you thinking of joining our challenge?

craftymatt2/Mary: I honestly don't remember. I've been collecting fabrics for a while. The pattern, some of the flag fabric and I'm sure some of the red came from The Quilted Bear in Ladner, BC. The majority of my stash is from local quilt shops around Vancouver BC as well as from the sewing shows in the area. How much do you need? Once I finish the cutting I can see if there is any spare and send some your way. I hope you join us for this challenge. It doesn't have to be a full quilt if you are consumed by other projects, and aren't we all.

Last edited by works4me; 04-17-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Count me in.......I promised my son a quilt to use as a fundraiser for the Veterans in his local area. I'm working on half-square triangles now. Will post photos soon. Thanks for this nudge to get busy!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Count me in. I'm finishing a patriotic wall hanging, just binding to go. It is for our son's birthday the end of this month. Chad served in Desert Shield/Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia. This wall hanging is to honor his service.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM

As QuiltE knows My PC quilt is Patriotic. I'll come here, ooo, awww, & chatter. One patriotic thing at a time! I love all things Patriotic.
I can't wait ta see all things Canadian.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Can it be projects that have been previously completed? This is a wallhanging that was requested by a friend for a new family member that hailed from Canada. A blending of American and Canadian. They were thrilled with the result. I tried to stay to scale on placements for each flag, and had to make patterns for the stars (they were actually painted and then outline stitched) and the maple leaf (drawn freehand on a folded paper, then unfolded to have a symmetrical result). Here's some pics...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328630[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328631[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328632[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_2537.jpg   100_2538.jpg   100_2548.jpg   100_2549.jpg  

Last edited by peggymunday; 04-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Count me in. It may not be as beautiful as those shown but I'll do something fun.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday View Post
Can it be projects that have been previously completed? This is a wallhanging that was requested by a friend for a new family member that hailed from Canada. A blending of American and Canadian. They were thrilled with the result. I tried to stay to scale on placements for each flag, and had to make patterns for the stars (they were actually painted and then outline stitched) and the maple leaf (drawn freehand on a folded paper, then unfolded to have a symmetrical result). Here's some pics...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328630[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328631[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328632[/ATTACH]
Peggy, that is beautiful!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 AM

Peggy - I love how you combined the flags of our two countries! Thanks for describing how you did the stars. They look great!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM

peggymunday - that looks great.

The idea of the challenge is to do a new project for this year. Since you have done such a great larger project maybe you want to join us by making something small like placemats or pot holders or a mini quilt or ???