Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
International Patriotic Challenge >

International Patriotic Challenge

International Patriotic Challenge

Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Maggiemay - that's a wonderful remake!!! It's time had come!
Jenniky - I'm plannin' on makin' my Pony Club quilt as a QAYG, so I'll definitely love ta join your QAYG thread.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

MaggieMay ... Great remake!! The bargello effect really makes for a nice wavy flag. Your feathers are amazing!!!! Well done indeed!!!
And your next Patriotic Project will be????

Jenniky ... you're a real busy lady! How do you manage to get so many hours in a day to sit and sew? Yes, I'm GREEN with envy!

Me? ... I started another table topper tonight using the Warm Wishes pattern. However ... I don't like the combo I chose. They're all cut out and on my design wall, though I think I need to switch out one of the fabrics ..... or find a different pattern!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 PM

QuiltE - Isn't it annoying when you "think" something looks great until you get it on the display wall and stand back and look again! So sorry you have to re-do your fabrics. Better now than later, hang in there!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
QuiltE - Isn't it annoying when you "think" something looks great until you get it on the display wall and stand back and look again! So sorry you have to re-do your fabrics. Better now than later, hang in there!
ITA ... what's worse is when you think it's all good, and then you sew it and then <shudder>!!!!!
Thankfully I didn't get to that step. And I really want to use the one fabric which requires it being left as a yardage or FC. The backing will be the yardage and then the FC front was my idea. Of course, once I get to that point, I just can't "see" the other possibilities waiting!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
MaggieMay ... Great remake!! The bargello effect really makes for a nice wavy flag. Your feathers are amazing!!!! Well done indeed!!!
And your next Patriotic Project will be????

Jenniky ... you're a real busy lady! How do you manage to get so many hours in a day to sit and sew? Yes, I'm GREEN with envy!

Me? ... I started another table topper tonight using the Warm Wishes pattern. However ... I don't like the combo I chose. They're all cut out and on my design wall, though I think I need to switch out one of the fabrics ..... or find a different pattern!
Im was 100% disabled Navy Veteran prior to my accident that has further restricted me from ever working. I have found I love quilting. It keeps my mind occupied and off my pain and disabilities. I've never been an indoor person but quilting has helped me tolerate being inside, sitting all day. So I pretty much work on my quilting eight to ten hours a day. Since Im not a TV person either. I listen to country music and quilt. DH takes care of the house, cleans, cooks....etc. Im really hoping the new physician Im going to see at the end of the month will at least help me become more mobile and less pain so I can participate in more outside activities. I am very grateful that I have found quilting as a hobby that keeps me stimulated.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Jenniky ... so sorry for your past that has not made your present so enjoyable. Everything you show and share proves that you choose to make the best of all, and not dwell on the negatives. They are there and you live with them, rather than letting them control. Sometimes that's the way to get around the not so good things in life ... just ignore as much as possible. Sometimes that's the way I motor on too ... ignore. I manage what needs to be managed, but just let it be part of my life, rather than the controlling part. I can't change it, so I just let it be there and keep it from impeding what I want to do as much as I can. So give your husband a big salute from me, that he's there and such a great support for you!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM

I agree with QuiltE Jenniky! Your husband is one awesome dude to take over all the household chores for you. I think that is what keeps me from quilting more - all that dratted daily housekeeping! I just will not let myself do any quilting until all those chores are done each day.

Our daughter was a dental tech in the navy, a great experience that led to her dental hygienist profession. What a great training ground the military is for young people. Too bad more youngsters don't take advantage it.

I have a SIL in the SeaBees - they are stationed near us at Port Hueneme, CA, so our daughter can visit frequently (they moved up here from San Diego). Wyatt just got back from Spain recently. He has been all over the country in his eight years in the service. He just re-enlisted. He will have a great career - as he can drive all kinds of heavy equipment and trucks.

Last edited by JeanieG; 07-17-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

JeanieG .. oh please do tell this non American what Sea-Bees are? I'm guessing naval helicopters?
As for quilting and housework ... join the rest of us and don't be such a clean-freak!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Jenniky - I hope your new physician is able to help you. Sometimes just being able to go for a walk makes a big difference. I bought walking poles last year and they assisted me greatly. I agree with everything that QuiltE said. I admire your attitude and the husband is a keeper, for sure.

JeanieG - such control. My ex-neighbour would make sure he did all his chores, in and out, after work, before taking off for an evening ride on his motorcycle. We admired his work ethic but did not emulate it. Gorgeous day - take off in the sports car. The weahter may not hold but the work will.

No quilt projects for me for a bit. Unless I need a break and hear Franky calling my name.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Seabees are the Navy's Construction Battalion. They build things.

I will make sure to let DH know how wonderful he is. I only tell him fifty times a day. LOL Im a real stickler for saying Please and Thankyou and sometimes if Im not sure I have said it..I say it twice. I don't know how many times I have gave him my special stare and say promptly "It's not always about what I want ..What do you want??? I know that if he really wants something he has no hesitation to speak up. Well thats not always true.. that is why he gets the stare sometimes. Im very grateful to have such a wonderful man by my side. I may not be rich in monetary wealth, but I am spoiled with love.