Newbies challenge

Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
Wait, wait. What's a PM? And what is FMQ? I'm getting lost in initials!
PM = private message
FMQ = free motion quilting
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM

This is a awesome idea. I am a newbie and would love to be adopted. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM

You have a lot of company, Donna. I don't wander off the beginner blocks much myself and 1/2 square triangles drive me a bit bonkers. I stay pretty much with squares and strips, which is why I love the log cabin blocks. I'd love to be mentored by someone more advanced than myself.

Nolee
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM

nikkidavis, your tag line, 'failure is not an option' shouldn't be something you have to worry about with your quilts. We all look at what we have done, and learn from it. It's not failure: it's learning by doing. And I have found the most fun in seeing progress from where I started to where I am know, and set goals based on that.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM

PM is a personal message. Kinda like an email to just that one person. You click on the person's name above their pic or avatar, and some choices come up. One of the choices is PM. Click on that and you have a free screen to type, then hit send.
FMQ is free motion quilting. A type of meandering stitching, unlike STD (stitch in the ditch) or echo quilting. I believe if you search at the top of the home page, and type in abbreviations, you will find many more explained. Good luck. Don't be shy about PM'ing me if you have other questions. When I teach, I always remind students, "there are not dumb questions". If you don't know the answer, then asking is a smart question! Hope this helps. Penny (pgthom in Kalamazoo, MI)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by newbyquilter
I am a newbie too, I am very intimidated by my sewing machine...I know how to thread it but have trouble using it. The whole piece of fabric thunks down and gets sucked into the machine. So I completely hand quilted my first quilt because I was just too intimidated.
Here's another tip for you newbyquilter: Use a piece of scrap fabric as a "leader". Fold a little scrap, about 2x3 or whatever you have handy. Lay it under the edge of your "real" work, overlapping the "real" stuff just a smidge. Start stitching in the leader a little from the edge, then just seamlessly proceed onto your "real" fabric. Snip away the leader when you finish the seam. This is much easier to do than to explain. Hope it makes sense.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 AM

I need help with applique and piecing. Help! Susie sew a lot
Old 07-23-2010, 05:45 PM

I definitely need adopting. I have been quilting for 1 year and have taken some classes. I can cut and measure ok. I have some squares I made with jelly rolls and charm packs. I need to square them up. If you square one side 9 inches, is the other side supposed to be 9 1/2?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
I'm up for adoption!

Sent you a PM if you are still up for adoption!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM

that sounds wonderful, im new to quilting also but could always use some help in some areas, would love if someone would adopt me and help me along thanks in advance