Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM

I dont know if this has already been posted, but I like this method that doesnt have the fold on top when blocks are joined.

http://lilysquilts.blogspot.com/2011...ng-blocks.html

I stumbled upon this today and thought it was a good tute with lots of pictures. I learn best by viewing.

I've made several QAYG quilts, but have always made the backing larger than the front of the block that creates a front fold

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353908[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn0142-x-50-percent.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by vagabondindigo View Post
jenniky -

the wonderdots are my own creation, lol. I dont think its an item you can get seperately. I use the scraps from varioous projects with wonderunder used, aqs tend to have little bits a ieces of unused wonderunder left pover. Trim them down tot he size i want and voila - wonder dots for things like quick basting.
I recently viewed a disc of quilting made by Nancy Zieman (of "Sewing with Nancy" on PBS) and she used a strip of wonder-under that was about 1/2" wide for basting her quilt. She placed it where she wanted it on the wrong side of her backing piece, pressed it in place with her Clover mini iron, and then tore the paper about a half inch long while keeping pressure on the iron. After applying these "dots" in many places, she peeled off the paper, put her batting over it and pressed it (maybe with a pressing cloth?) using her regular iron. When she was finished doing that all over the backing piece, she did the same "dotting" of the quilt top and peeled off the paper of the Wonder Under and pressed that to the sandwich of batting and backing. It looked quick and efficient.
Seems like this would be a very good way to use up small pieces of fusible that are left over after cutting out appliques. Also a good option for quilters with breathing issues that keep them from using any basting spray.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
VagabondIndigo and VickiM ... My complements to both of you for the matches being nice and straight and square on your quilts. I haven't done this QAYG technique, have liked the concept, and have been wanting to try it thru this thread ... though I have had hesitations, as store samples in several stores that I've seen done have not fully matched up or been straight and square. What a turn off .... and you've proven, it does not need to be such!
Can I join? The method she has been showing is exactly how I did my flip flop quilt and the one I just finished called my nature QAYG. The third picture is the back of the nature one. These are my nr. 1 and 2 quilts of this type I've done.

Currently I have 2 more started--one with odd blocks which will be a scrappy quilt--hope it turns out decently as I'm not really impressed by my blocks--I need a killer sashing fabric. The second one I have started but not finished is one where I embroidered some bluebells on 17 - 9" squares and will alternative them with a patterned fabric that is quilted.

Anway, here are my first two. I'm completely satisfied with both of them. The nature one, I made 1/2" seams instead of 1/4" seams so my sashing ended up being 1" wide instead of 1/2" wide. I like it as well but I also really, really like how the flip flop quilt turned out.

I did all of the finishing of the strips as hand work. The two I'm doing now, I'm going to try to machine stitch the strips down.
Attached Thumbnails flip-flop-quilt-top.jpg   nature-sidesmaller.jpg   smaller-floral-side.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Justflyingin, your quilts look terrific. Wow!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:40 PM

vhord620 and Justflyingin, your quilts look terrific. Wow!

I also have a question. Can you use one fabric for the front of the block as sashing and a different fabric for the back of the block for sashing or joining the blocks?

Last edited by ssnare; 08-06-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
vhord620 and Justflyingin, your quilts look terrific. Wow!

I also have a question. Can you use one fabric for the front of the block as sashing and a different fabric for the back of the block for sashing or joining the blocks?

Of course you can ... like most things in quilting, you can do whatever you want!
I believe JustFlyingIn's 2nd and 3rd pictures are the same quilt, showing you the two sides.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM

I love the quilts being shown here using the QAYG methods!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=vagabondindigo;5420729]
Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post

This is so gorgeous. I LOVE the backing fabric you used, and how the tshirt layout came out. For the tshirt fronts - did you spray baste them to the batting?
Thanks to ALL the nice comments on my grandson's tshirt quilt. I got a BIG hug from him when he opened it too so I know he liked it. Since his mom kinda "stole" the shirts out of his closet, I was afraid he would be upset that she had them cut up but he loved it.

As for spray basting - I think I just pinned it with straight pins. I didn't want to do a lot of quilting which might take away from the shirt names so I marked about 3" in from the edges to create a very wide "echo" type square. Plus, since the shirt itself was stabilized with lightweight fusible interfacing, spraying that side was definitely not necessary. Part of the reasons I took a couple of shortcuts is that I only had about 10 days to complete (I had been very sick the previous 2 months and didn't even go near my sewing room during that time). My step-daughter's co-worker was nice enough to iron on the interfacing to help me out.

I hope that answered your question.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Hey everyone, Great postings. I love all of the wonderful examples of finished "QAYG" All of the projects are unique and beautiful. I was out all day having summer fun with my family. Laid out in the sun and watched my DGS playing on Lake Michigan Beach building sand castles with my DD. It was a very relaxing day with Pizza for lunch. I will work on getting caught up on the posts reading tomorrow and get replies out to any questions that have not been answered. Have a wonderful evening Ladies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]353986[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 217637_10151161855800879_537880601_n.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Of course you can ... like most things in quilting, you can do whatever you want!
I believe JustFlyingIn's 2nd and 3rd pictures are the same quilt, showing you the two sides.
I've done this several times but you really need to stay organized while cutting and sewing so you don't get yourself mixed up. You can guess how I know this.....:-)