Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge >

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 PM

**TIP** When adding the sashing pieces, attach to the same side piece of block or row each time so that on the backside, the stitching (and flap) will be on the same side. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will try to make this more clear (if anyone doesn't understand what I'm trying to say).

This will also be clear if you plan the attaching step so that your new block or row is always to the right of your foot (not the bulky part of the quilt). This will become apparent as you add more and more rows.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
**TIP** When adding the sashing pieces, attach to the same side piece of block or row each time so that on the backside, the stitching (and flap) will be on the same side. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will try to make this more clear (if anyone doesn't understand what I'm trying to say).

This will also be clear if you plan the attaching step so that your new block or row is always to the right of your foot (not the bulky part of the quilt). This will become apparent as you add more and more rows.
Good tip! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 PM

I've found (for myself at least) is the walking foot works the best for keeping the intersections aligned and for keeping my 1/4" perfect. I align the left side of my walking foot (Babylock) along the sashing stitching line, then adjust my needle to 1/4" from the right side.

Jenniky - the extra pinning of the blocks is a great idea. I'll have to try that when I start working on my next project. Hope to have something to post soon.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Ronda I was wondering about them glue sticks. I have not tried using one yet. Will have to run right out and buy one and give it a go. What a wonderful idea. So how do you like the process so far?? Your blocks look terrific btw.

You might want to buy it by the large packs (I buy the 24-pack)...I never use pins for my binding, also use it for fun & done instead of pins for the sashings...I use glue sticks whenever I can instead of pins. You can bet I'll use it for your method too, if I can...just hate pins! Can't use it for piecing, though.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
So, Ronda, you glued down the back folded strip. Then did you press it to dry the glue? You then say that you stitched in the ditch on the front. Did that stitching come out as close to the edge of the back strip as it looks in your second picture? If so, I'd say that it's totally acceptable. I've tried that on other things and wasn't so happy with how far it ended up from the edge of the back strip. I had a flap instead of a nicely sewed edge. Guess it depends on the width of the strips. Were yours like Jenniky suggested--1" on front and 1 3/4" on the back?

Yes. I followed Jenniky's tutorial completely and just added the glue part before pressing the back down and before stitching in the ditch on the front. If you wanted it even closer to the edge,you could cut the wide strip a tiny bit skinier, but I'm okay with it as it is. I have done another block and it's getting easier as I go. I have all my blocks quilted now and will continue to put them together tomorrow.

To answer your earlier question Jenniky, yes, I'm finding that I am starting to enjoy this process...(shhhh...don't tell anyone...).

I'm happy to see that others have also been using glue...I just use the cheapest stick I can find, and liquid at times as well. I never cake it on, but just dab here and there. Right now I have Elmer's. I find that the school glue that goes on purple and then turns clear? It dries out too fast for me to really use it, so I have a bunch of it that's just setting there wasting away.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
Ronda I was wondering about them glue sticks. I have not tried using one yet. Will have to run right out and buy one and give it a go. What a wonderful idea. So how do you like the process so far?? Your blocks look terrific btw.

You might want to buy it by the large packs (I buy the 24-pack)...I never use pins for my binding, also use it for fun & done instead of pins for the sashings...I use glue sticks whenever I can instead of pins. You can bet I'll use it for your method too, if I can...just hate pins! Can't use it for piecing, though.
Don't laugh now, but when I'm making half square triangles? I've started to use glue to hold my small squares onto my larger squares before stitching the triangles, but then that's a different thread...so won't get too much off track here. Thanks for the tip on buying in bulk!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Just wanted to let you know I am here and following along. I just got my sandwiches made and I will quilt them and catch up with you guys in a day or so. I picked a Halloween quilt that I had started and will show pix in a day or so.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
Great Discussion Topic : Everyone please relate your experiences with Glue Sticks.

So you are using a regular "Elmers Glue STick" or other brand? I thought the glue sticks were specially made for the quilting. Im sure if it's possible to use the cheaper Glue Stick with the same results.. that would be a great find also??? Has anyone else used a regular glue stick for basting. How did it work for you. Would love to hear quilting experiences with glue sticks. It would be very helpful if you can also tell us what brand of glue stick you have had success with or otherwise.
I use Elmers Craft Bond almost exclusively because thats also what I use for papercrafting. And as someone else said, a little goes a LONG way. LOne of the things I like abut this stick is the clue is purple, not clear, and very strong. So, just a smear here and there, and I am set.

I also use it a LOT for cheating with applique. If I have small bits and bobs in a complicated or really small piece - I use whatever stablizer I can draw on (woven stablizer up to xerox paper) and draw or print my applique shapes on it. Cut them to exact size, and dab/glue them to the back of my fabrics. Then I cut the fabric down to whatever edge size I think i need, and fold and glue those edges to the back of the applique, leaving the stablizing pattern piece in place. THEN i glue the ready applique piece to my fabric base, and sew it down in whatever fashion I wish. Gives me very crisp applique pieces and saves me a LOT of time and frustration.

If I use a wash away stablizer, it will slowly wash away over time, leaving just the cotton.

I do something similar with fabric glue to baste, or stablize, a hem or seam I am sewing. It has helped tremendously with giving me crisper edges and lines in maching sewing.

I find the keys are - a little goes a long way - and dont be afraid of using it, most craft glues (even the perminant ones) dry clear so its hard to see a 'mistake' if you make one!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 AM

[QUOTE=charlottemarie;5427743]Just wanted to let you know I am here and following along. I just got my sandwiches made and I will quilt them and catch up with you guys in a day or so. I picked a Halloween quilt that I had started and will show pix in a day or so.[/QUOTE
]

Charlottemarie - Im so glad you are here, Good to hear you have your sandwiches made. (Peanut butter and Jelly or are they Ham and Swiss??) Just kidding, lol, I'm om a bit of a spunky mood this morning. We will all look forward to seeing your quilted sandwich squares. I also want to invite you to share your QAYG experiences with us and participate in the discussions. And Questions are always welcomed.

Everyone - So the best kept quilting secret is glue basting. I agree, Sharon Schamber's Quilt Binding Video Tutorials with Elmer's Glue is a must see for anyone who has not seen it. http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/ Thank you JeanieG for sharing this link with us.

Ladies I can not tell you how excited and how much I appreciate all the information shared on the Glue Basting. As I said before I'm very excited to try it and will definitely be using Sharon Schamber's technique (link above) for binding my first QAYG quilt.

Last edited by Jenniky; 08-09-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post

Right now I have Elmer's. I find that the school glue that goes on purple and then turns clear? It dries out too fast for me to really use it, so I have a bunch of it that's just setting there wasting away.

If you put your extra glue sticks in a ziploc bag and keep it in the fridge, you'll find it can last longer till you need it.

Ronda, are you heat setting the glue stick with your iron?

Hoping that this afternoon I can get four of my Sunbonnet Sue blocks cut to size and sandwiched so I can quilt them. Life seems to keep getting in my path between me and my cutting table.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 08-09-2012 at 06:11 AM.