Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

paulswalia 09-09-2013 03:50 PM

I took NINE quilt tops and backings to the LQS where I work to be put on the long arm. These tops have been hanging around for the better part of a year. Good thing is I had to find backings for about 5 of them and all backings came out of stash. I also have batting for all of them in the stash. Part of my compensation at the shop is to use the long arm at no cost, so getting these all quilted won't be a burden except that I have to DO IT! And, I'm not really good, but you have to practice, so here I go. And next on the schedule is to get to work using up MORE of the stash.

SandyinZ4 09-09-2013 07:21 PM

Oh paulswalia,...we want to see the finished quilts when you are done with the long arm on them. Please, please post pictures! I admire you for learning and bet by the time you get to the last one you will be way good!

alikat110 09-10-2013 12:14 AM

Well dang it! I fell of this wagon several months ago and have enjoyed quite a few forays into the land of "Increasing my Stash". However, it is time to recommit.......wow. that hurts!

PaperPrincess 09-13-2013 07:44 AM

Well, a little bump in the road. I have been deleting all emails from fabric sites, giving my JoAnn's coupons to my niece and avoiding quilt shops. Yesterday my husband and I went to the dentist. Lots of construction in the area so we left early. A bit too early, so we decided to kill some time at the Salvation Army. To get to the household items, they MADE ME go thru the linens. There was a home made drapery set made from quilting cotton. Black with bright colored streamers, right up my alley. What could I do? When I got it home and took it apart, I saw that the sewer hadn't even taken the selvedges off, so I got a piece 2.25 yards (like right off the bolt) 3 - 1 yard pieces and another piece 25" X 2.25 yards, plus a few assorted small pieces that I think were used as tiebacks. Around 6-7 yards for $4.

Nilla 09-13-2013 09:51 AM

PaperPrincess, I wouldn't even count 4$ as a bump in the road. I'd just pretend I spent it on a fancy coffee instead. Anything under 10$ can easily be reasoned away in my mind!

MadQuilter 09-13-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla (Post 6291475)
Anything under 10$ can easily be reasoned away in my mind!

OK, I am taking $10 cash to the LQS tomorrow when I get my next installment of the Halloween wallhanging. I like it!

SandyinZ4 09-14-2013 06:45 AM

So much for driving the wagon! I bought one cut of Cuddle dimple 2.5 yds via internet. It seemed like a good price and I needed backing for a quilt. First time I have ever bought any kind of soft 'minke' type fabric. Now I am hoping the the LA quilter will be able to sew through it. Anyone have an opinion? I liked it because it is one piece the size of the top of my queen size bed so I don't have to piece anything.

nancia 09-14-2013 12:51 PM

Sandy, let me know how that does. And where did you find a piece that wide! Share the resource, please! I may have to steal it, since i really can't buy it...............hmmmmmmm............a pre-dickle-ment.............

nancia 09-14-2013 01:03 PM

Emma-- I'm in the philly area. Even the vets are saying the fleas are crazy bad this year. Hopefully we will have a very cold winter and it will kill all of them, and their eggs, "and their little dog , too" no, not my dogs. They have been getting a dose a week of the topical juice, and our natural lawn company is supposed to be hitting the yard every week. First, i will bomb the upstairs and seal it off so the cats and dogs ( and dh) won't get in there. That will give me a bug free zone. When i bomb downstairs i will take the dogs for a 3 hr ride in the car and walk.my girls are not much for playing, but they do like walkies. Our cat, simon loves to come with when we walk in the neighborhood, a lovely little caravan. Lol !!!
Oh, I forgot to mention some charms that got caught in the wagon wheel and i HAD to rescue them. It was a self-less humane act! Curse you, craftsy!!!! 8-0

MadQuilter 09-14-2013 04:19 PM

I was vewwy vewwy good today. Went to the LQS to get my next installment on the block-of-the-week project and bought nothing! Then we went to a quilt show and bought no fabric. I only looked at fabric from a distance. Didn't touch - didn't fondle - just walked by. I picked up a hanger for a wall hanging and a little bag of embellishments. Then I saw a Handiquilter rep and got some pointers on how to use the trustitch better. So it was a great day for the FA wagon.