Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

auntpiggylpn 01-13-2013 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 (Post 5783282)
Hey everyone, This is supposed to be fun, right. Let's not make it other than that. I too, am going to try and use from my stash every chance I can but if I need something for a backing or more batting or one FQ of a color to make a mug rug, I won't feel guilty. Hope you don't either. We aren't going to stop quilting at end of the year. I think the whole point of this is to try to use what we have first but if there is a sale and something you really can't live without, and it is a good price..I say get it within reason, of course. With fabric prices being what they are, if I found a sale on FQ's at .50cents each, I would grab some fast....moratorium or not. Any of you want to kick me off? LOL!

I'm not going to boot ya! I don't think anyone should beat themselves up if they find a fantastic sale or a fabric that they just can't live without. When I started my personal fabric moratorium back in July it was because I was just buying buying buying and not creating at all. I just made a decision that I needed to be more productive! If I come across a great sale or whatever I can't say that I won't indulge. I just haven't come across it yet! I still open my emails from fabric sites and I go to joann's Hancocks Hobby Lobby and my favorite LQS PRETTY regularly. We travel frequently and always stop in the LQS in the area. I know that if I really wanted something I would get it. I will still feed my love (okay addiction!) of fabric; I'm just more selective now. So no one should feel like they have failed if they cave.

WMUTeach 01-13-2013 01:01 PM

Congrats on the two quilts from stash. By the way I have done three jelly roll quilts and none are under an hour. Two were hour and a half and one was hours and three quarters. Still that is pretty quick to piece a quilt top!

I am still working every day and have not had time to even start a new quilt from my stash. Perhaps later today I will get started. Have plenty in mind just need to pull the correct fabrics.

PaperPrincess 01-13-2013 02:11 PM

You got it Sandy, quilting IS supposed to be fun! I consider this thread kind of like announcing you are on a diet. Just saying (typing) it reinforces your commitment, and garners support. There are no real 'rules', so I hope everyone will do whatever makes the most sense for them. Slip ups will have no consequences, and success will be however you define it. Some folks will be much more careful with purchases, some will strive for cold turkey. Like me. I'm still trying to organize my stash. Even after creating a large pile to gift to various people, I will still have approximately one gazillion yards. nicely folded I hope.

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 (Post 5783282)
Hey everyone, This is supposed to be fun, right. Let's not make it other than that. I too, am going to try and use from my stash every chance I can but if I need something for a backing or more batting or one FQ of a color to make a mug rug, I won't feel guilty. Hope you don't either. We aren't going to stop quilting at end of the year. I think the whole point of this is to try to use what we have first but if there is a sale and something you really can't live without, and it is a good price..I say get it within reason, of course. With fabric prices being what they are, if I found a sale on FQ's at .50cents each, I would grab some fast....moratorium or not. Any of you want to kick me off? LOL!

alikat110 01-13-2013 05:34 PM

I have been playing with my stash as I am reorganizing...helps to fondle it and pick gruops to put together for future projects!

deedum 01-13-2013 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5783317)
I'm not going to boot ya! I don't think anyone should beat themselves up if they find a fantastic sale or a fabric that they just can't live without. When I started my personal fabric moratorium back in July it was because I was just buying buying buying and not creating at all. I just made a decision that I needed to be more productive! If I come across a great sale or whatever I can't say that I won't indulge. I just haven't come across it yet! I still open my emails from fabric sites and I go to joann's Hancocks Hobby Lobby and my favorite LQS PRETTY regularly. We travel frequently and always stop in the LQS in the area. I know that if I really wanted something I would get it. I will still feed my love (okay addiction!) of fabric; I'm just more selective now. So no one should feel like they have failed if they cave.

Thank you for saying we haven't fell if we cave, because I caved kinda. I have been trying to use up what all I can, but then I found beautiful fabric in a antique store of all places for a dollar a yard! So I limited myself to just $10 and then kicked myself for just not buying it all.

auntpiggylpn 01-13-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5784379)
Thank you for saying we haven't fell if we cave, because I caved kinda. I have been trying to use up what all I can, but then I found beautiful fabric in a antique store of all places for a dollar a yard! So I limited myself to just $10 and then kicked myself for just not buying it all.

Were they vintage fabrics?? Oh, I wouldn't have been able to hold back as I am soooo in love with vintage fabrics. I would get rid of some of my modern fabrics if I had to!!! I probably would have bartered for a good price on a huge chunk of it!!! (if you were standing here beside me, I would kick you for not buying more of it! :D)

craftiladi 01-14-2013 06:04 AM

This is so much fun reading everyone reasoning and ideas. I too am still sticking to my guns on the no fabric buying...ok backing doesn't count right-very seldom do I buy the backing until I am almost done w/ the quilt top, unless of course somebody somewhere is having a to good to pass up sale..lol I did manage to finish 8 baby quilts in record time over the last 2 weeks and new living decor for my DD as a surprise.

Belfrybat 01-14-2013 06:31 AM

Well, so far so good. I haven't done any impulse purchasing, which was my downfall. I did go by the LQS because I needed a certain colour for a mystery quilt I'm doing. I was so proud of me as I only purchased a yard of sale fabric. My personal definition of the moratorium is not to buy fabric "just because" and to add to my stash. But only buy what I need to fill in on a certain project.
As someone else said, this is supposed to be a fun project, not a burden.

paulswalia 01-14-2013 11:27 AM

I must admit to a stumble - our local Joann's is closing in one location and moving to another so all fabric still in the old store was cheap, cheap, cheap - so I bought 6 yards for a backing for my grandson's baseball quilt. No stash building because I have an intended use for it but if the truth be known, I could have made the back out of something already in stash. But it said All Stars!!!!! And other baseball Stuff!!!! AND it came out to $2.79/yard. Okay - now back on the fabric diet.

kay carlson 01-14-2013 08:33 PM

I had a delightful time getting out of the house today and riding to Escanaba with quilting sisters who were going to shop the current sales at Joanns. DH gave me twenty bucks toward the flannel I was planning to replace. I did stay within budget and picked up a couple of notions at half-price. Then, we went out to eat lunch at the Swedish Pantry. Thanks for supporting me on this fabric moratorium. I will zigzag the cut edges and preshrink the flannel first thing in the morning. I need to have a few burp pads made by the end of the week. Happy days are here again....