Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-ufo-challenge-month-t209986.html)

carriem 12-02-2013 04:53 PM

Speaking of pencil marks...what marking pencil/pen do you all use when marking on white fabric?? I will need something for the next quilt I finish...

asimplelife 12-03-2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UFO Finish #70 since 10/01/2012 is Bouncing Balls. I used a free Project Linus pattern called "Play Ball" at Quiltmaker.com although I changed the borders to make mine a little bigger with a scrappy outer border. I have another one in the piecing stage - the blocks are paper pieced. Started this one in 2007, got it to flimsy stage and finally now it is done!

asimplelife 12-03-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 6435455)
Speaking of pencil marks...what marking pencil/pen do you all use when marking on white fabric?? I will need something for the next quilt I finish...

I have a phobia about marking quilts - but have been using a red Frixion pen (that I test on each fabric first) and love it. I've done 3-4 quilts with no problems. I mark lightly and they iron right off.

carriem 12-03-2013 03:28 PM

I will be doing cross-hatch quilting white on white. I don't have any extra fabric for testing as I am quilting it for someone else. It is an old muslin...maybe a sheet?? So am kind of hesitant to mark on it and not have it come off.

Emma S 12-03-2013 03:57 PM

Asimplelife: Love your ball quilt. I could so see doing that for a baby boy quilt. The colors, the boarder and even the binding go together to make a perfect quilt.

carriem 12-03-2013 06:58 PM

asimplelife--Another bright, cheerful quilt. I really like the piano key border on this one.

asimplelife 12-04-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by carriem (Post 6437066)
I will be doing cross-hatch quilting white on white. I don't have any extra fabric for testing as I am quilting it for someone else. It is an old muslin...maybe a sheet?? So am kind of hesitant to mark on it and not have it come off.

I do my testing on the seam allowances on the backside of my UFOs - FYI. But I understand taking extra care with unknown materials from someone else. With the Frixion I mark, quilt and iron within the same day - don't know if it's necessary but like I said I have a bit of a phobia with marking quilts!

missgigglewings 12-04-2013 12:26 PM

Christmas Row Robin

1 Attachment(s)
I love that quilt asimplelife! Great job! This is a Row Robin we did back in 2010..might have been 2009! I love how it all came together..even better then I imagined! Such talented quilters we have on the QB. This quilt is going to Illinois to my mom...Her birthday is Dec 19th and she will be 87 years old.

missgigglewings 12-04-2013 12:38 PM

Row Robin Close ups

3 Attachment(s)
This quilt is so much more beautiful then the picture shows! There are applique blocks, embroidered blocks, paper pieced...a little of everything! Here's a couple of close ups that I just had to share!

oksewglad 12-04-2013 03:56 PM

Lovely Christmas spirit quilt, missgiglewings.