Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

suziehammond 01-02-2013 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1 (Post 5755593)
I will be starting off on a new foot this year because I had to move my studio home from the back of my LQS. jb

I imagine that was a sad time for you all. Losing a great resource is usually a trauma of sorts for me. OTOH it's sometimes good to be forced to start fresh and do new unanticipated things. Hope that is the case for you. We will enjoy your work here that's for sure.

suziehammond 01-02-2013 02:20 AM

Hope everyone is excited about starting the new year freshly.

A NEW Beginning is this month's theme and I am looking forward to the theme challenges. Who out there has some new ideas they are trying out for their next piece?

I know I am toying with several and by the end of the week there will probably be a few new ideas on the list as well. Ahh, the idea of fresh projects is so alluring.

dotcomdtcm 01-03-2013 04:44 AM

New Year, New Diet

1 Attachment(s)
We make green juice now, every morning. Too bad I don't have a goat for the leftovers. Hmmm...

suziehammond 01-08-2013 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm (Post 5758681)
We make green juice now, every morning. Too bad I don't have a goat for the leftovers. Hmmm...

That would be a big change for our house altho we are closing in on a diet that is very non meat based.
Since we are in summer raspberries,blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, bananas,guavas, peaches and nectarines, avocados and tomatoes are almost our entire diet. Yum! But of course that is because they are growing in either our yard or our neighbors'. Love that goat idea.......goat cheese..yum..

Can't wait to see your next art piece on this idea of yours

suziehammond 01-08-2013 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Holidays are settled out now. What are you all starting project-wise? There are so many new ideas to experiment with this year. What are your 'New Beginnings'? A New subject? New technique you've been a little scared to try?

Put that new resolution into a quilt with some fresh art techniques too...................

My recently hatched plan is taking an old pattern I like and adding some oddball visual elements to totally change it.
To wit-- this very,very,very easy 'puzzle pattern' which I made up a few years ago for a neighbor. Someone will I ask I know so......I only work with measurements for this pattern. (If you look at the photo you can see it is merely 7 rectangles made into a square that don't even need any accuracy. The trick is merely in where you place the different colored rectangle 'puzzle bits'. You can draw one up yourself for the sized scraps you have lying around)
Anyway, I think it needs some more interesting spaces put into the puzzle itself and a piece or two off to the side waiting to be placed.
OTOH this Q won't be going on the wall. The original plan was to do a wall art piece but we just heard yesterday about a young friend whose house just burnt to the ground a few days ago. He is a musician and everything, including his instrument which is way to make a living, was in the house his already poor family rented. Here most people don't have contents insurance as it is way to costly. So I can help him piece his life back together a tiny bit but want to play with these new ideas for this pattern at the same time. So that is my goal for the month.

Now what about you guys over there???? What are you up to this new year?

nancia 01-08-2013 07:14 AM

i am still playing catch-up. i do see an end to the tunnel. my dear son has visited from london and is currently in nyc with friends. he flies out tomorrow and says he will be gone a year. makes me very sad, but he is old enough to decide these things for himself. i do miss him, and the others, now that they are all far away. so it is another new beginning with an empty nest. you'd think i'd have this down pat. as for the tunnel, there are still afew time sensitive projects i need to do. i am determined to get some fabric dyed. i'm taking a craftsy class on resist printing and it has re-kindled my desire to get some made. i have a huge investment in the tools and have done only one small piece. time to kick into gear!!
i must say i like the creations you two are showing. i am interested in doing a puzzle quilt, as i am so many other designs. it would be great for an autism fund raiser. and, dotty, daniel may have missed the boat with your lovely lily! such nice looking kids!
off to the dr's. have had 3 migraines in the last 2 weeks, and that's enough of that! hopefully there's a magic cure/preventative out there, short of removing my head, which i have considered! but then, what would i do with all my earrings?? ciao !:p

dotcomdtcm 01-08-2013 02:32 PM

Thinking Outside of the Box

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a new idea with improved technique. I took a class at my LQS and appreciate the instructor's tips on using fusibles.

suziehammond 01-09-2013 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm (Post 5771906)
Here is a new idea with improved technique. I took a class at my LQS and appreciate the instructor's tips on using fusibles.

'Loverley'! Any quick outstanding bits we need to know about fusing? Did you leave this one raw edged or do some finishing?

suziehammond 01-09-2013 05:24 AM

Nancia your catching up isn't contributing to the migraines I hope. BTW I used to have those terribly and when I hit menopause they went away. So there were several good aspects to that time frame. :)

It sounds like you are in a fabric creation time warp. My back patio and the summer temps are also beckoning me in that direction. Well. actually any excuse to get my hands all blue and green will do my husband thinks..

lynnie 01-09-2013 07:24 PM

Dotty, that quilt is awesome, hthe jow yoyr glowers broke out of their boxes,