Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

pollyjvan9 08-15-2013 07:59 AM

Suzie, I like you idea and will give it a try. My original idea was to feature the fabric which was from a skirt I found at a thrift shop (some of my favorite fabric stores), but I think It needs to be dressed up someway. Thanks for the suggestion.

ube quilting 08-19-2013 03:25 AM

@ post #818, Tracy: Very nice flowers. This is my first adventure to this art quilt thread. There is a lot to look at here and I am enjoying it.
What techniques are you using to do these? They are wonderful.
peace

Kehoeta 08-19-2013 05:18 AM

Is there a September challenge?? I think I would like to join in.

suziehammond 08-20-2013 04:09 AM

Welcome ube and Kohoeta! September challenge will be mounted on the first of the month.

But meantime there are still a good 10 days to do a small 12x12 piece for the August challenge! C'mon you can try a quick technique or two to describe cold. (Run a search up in the top box for August challenge where it is described in full.) Remember these aren't supposed to be the masterpieces you see in the shows. This is a personal challenge to try something new, see what you get, discuss results and ask for input besides the usual 'that's lovely' :)

Today I get to spend part of the morning on my WIP. I am doing a photo transfer of a cemetery angel. (What's colder than death after all) But I want to cut her up in about 6 pieces and then reassemble. Technically I can't figure out how to do this well as I want to keep the clear lines of the detailed photo. So today is an experimental session. Probably entailing a lot of heat and bond. :)

How are the rest of you doing out there? Let's see some WIP or some 'dones'.

ube quilting 08-20-2013 06:42 AM

I want to get into working in a more creative fashion and this will be a perfect place to start. I don't know about August but by Sept. I will be here. Thanks so much for starting this Art Sharing.
peace

dotcomdtcm 08-22-2013 07:23 PM

Last minute challenge for "Frozen" and I'll send a fat 1/4 from City Quilter to the first 5 who post. Come on you lurkers. Let's support Suzy's great ideas. Subject: Ice cube tray. Figure it out!! Dotty in NYC, where it is not freezing yet.

suziehammond 08-23-2013 05:38 AM

Dotty,

Thanks so much for your very generous offer! Having seen some of your work I know a fat quarter from you would be a delight! Hope this spurs some of you to get busy!!! Wow! Let's see...an ice cube tray.......hmmmm!

dotcomdtcm 08-23-2013 07:37 AM

Mine is done, but you get get to see it until September!!

nancia 08-23-2013 11:43 PM

I need to get home first. Having too good a time in dallas with family and friends, especially olivia ! Haven't even had a chance to track down board friends. Miss home and pets and dh, but hate to leave!

suziehammond 08-25-2013 05:52 AM

Cold Challenge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Here is my experiment for this month.

This was a photo of a cemetery angel. After all what is colder than death?!

I wanted to use this photo for a later larger piece.

But first I needed to experiment with how I could cut it up and still have a recognizable photo. I wanted to get more color into it as well.

I need to match everything up after the cuts and color insertion or I no longer had a photo. So there were technical issues. Eventually I used glue and strips and sewed either side, which worked OK. But I am not happy with the way the color shows through and I am going to use a different technique when I do the next piece.

Then I also wanted to decide on quilting amounts and design for the photos...what should be made more textural and what should be left alone?

This little test answered many of those issues and there are certainly things I want to do differently on the bigger piece. Practice does after all make us better at all this and opens up new ways of creating. And some of them are awful and don't work well at all. But take a risk and try something. I learned a lot and will use that for the major piece-- which is next on the list and should be much more effective now.

Now what are you all up to???? The clock is ticking here!!!!!