Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

amelia0607 11-15-2013 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 6405380)
The artist i keep referring to erroneously is Kupka. I have been in texas for nearly two weeks and have done nothing quilty. I was going to make a table topper for my daughter but her s.o. Doesn't like anything on tables or counters. Glad i hadn't made it yet! We have had sooooo much drama!! Actually can't wait to get home. Will miss my sweet lulu and lala, but I have a much gentler life . I love tx, but my dd is off the track! More tales later! Lol, grrrrrr.

Nancia,
It is tough to watch our "children" go off track. Lately, I've been having to remind myself that I did my best. She is an adult now and I have to let her make her own mistakes. My job now is to be there to support her when she's ready to get back on track and to help her make that transition in the best way possible.
Amy

SueSew 11-16-2013 07:20 AM

Nancia, I so sympathize - girls are so much drama, aren't they? I did laugh when I heard that s.o. doesn't like things on tables or counters. I am married wonderful 31 years to a man who can't tolerate curtains and drapes!!! And he has been married to a woman who is phobic about things piled up on counters and tables.
I hope things come together for them and you - so difficult to live through when it is our dearest ones. Perhaps a new quilt project meant solely and entirely to be a thing of beauty (rather than a gift or some other practical use) will do the trick! :)

dotcomdtcm 11-16-2013 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nancy, you have touched a nerve! I am waiting to see if my SIL will agree to hanging an amazing quilt I made DD in their bedroom. The quilt is a large creative sampler of trees made in one of my first BOM swaps. DD is an artist and a lover of fantasy. I asked for fantasy trees. The result is huge and DD loves it, having added her own block & participated in the construction. Their bedroom needs renovation & this would cover a very shabby wall on DD's "side" of the bed. I watched my SIL veto some of DD's art and a quilt she made herself for the living room. Sorry, but he is not very cultured in terms of art, and I had to fight to keep my mouth shut. If the tree quilt does not get hung, I will
take it back. Stay tuned!

amelia0607 11-16-2013 08:17 AM

Tree quilt is gorgeous and would perk up any room!! My husband would not allow it to be hung as he has a phobia about nail holes in the wall. If you can hang it without putting a hole (even a pin hole), then go ahead but no holes allowed. I'm sure I have my quirks that drive him nuts although I have no idea what could be:)

SueSew 11-18-2013 02:28 PM

Dotty, that quilt is wonderful - the kind of thing the viewer would never tire of looking at. Especially nice to look at when headed to sleep, thinking of favorite tree...
I do hope SIL is amenable. If for no other reason than it is special to DD, you know? Hope so!

dotcomdtcm 11-19-2013 12:41 PM

Have not asked. SIL is home on medical disability driving DD crazy. Now that he is no longer critically ill, the long recovery
is taking additional patience. Lots of drama there.

MadQuilter 11-20-2013 04:24 PM

Interesting how different people are. My honey has been bugging me to finish "Sunbonnet Sue's Nightmares" (formerly known as Kill SBS) so we can hang it up. He even mentioned that we need to get some covering for the loft windows so it won't get damaged by UV light. I think your trees are lovely and deserve a spot of honor.

nancia 11-20-2013 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aileen, i love looking at art works, too. I won't be copying but doing my version from his inspiration. I especially like the sweep of yellow! I've taken a picture with my ipad so will try to load it? This is the inspiration, NOT my work. Right now I'm battling constant headache and double vision, so I'm not making anything at present.
This is a painting by kupka a friend of leger. The one i saw at the exhibit was a little different, but this maintains the inspiration and flavor of the other.
An artist who is fun to follow is Mondrian . His paintings are very graphic and easy to re-create or follow as an inspiration. He was also a contemporary of leger. Have fun!
Dottie, I'm sorry i hit the sore spot. Dd , i think, was talked to by her brother, and the second visit was totally different. Very pleasant. I have been having some issues with a headache and double vision. Tomorrow is the MRI to rule out brain tumor. If that's what it is they can fix it. Right now that's all i care about. I' m more concerned they won't find a cause. That's the worst case scenario!
I admit my feelings were hurt that she didn't want my gift, but i raised her to be kind and honest and i think she was trying to be both. Tough situation , but everybody lived! Hope your dd and sil can hold it together. It is a difficult situation, i know from having been there. My tongue looks like cube steak from biting it so much. Every word has the weight of a sledgehammer . I wish them the best!

amelia0607 11-20-2013 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 6416138)
Aileen, i love looking at art works, too. I won't be copying but doing my version from his inspiration. I especially like the sweep of yellow! I've taken a picture with my ipad so will try to load it? This is the inspiration, NOT my work. Right now I'm battling constant headache and double vision, so I'm not making anything at present.

Please take care of yourself!!

nancia 11-20-2013 08:01 PM

I'm so excited the picture posted! I just aim my ipad at whatever I want to shoot, press a button, and voila! A load able picture. Woohoo! More pictures from now on!
Btw, Dottie, i love your tree quilt. What a shame there's contention.