Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Build a quilt around a central character you design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/build-quilt-around-central-character-you-design-t194381.html)

TOOMANYUFO'S 07-15-2012 03:54 AM

I would like to do this. Is copying a picture and doing applique an ok method. I would like to do Hello Kitty

Jenniky 07-15-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5364943)
I guess this commits me ........ can you guess what it is?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349042[/ATTACH]

Little Bo Peep... :) That will be adorable :thumbup:

Jenniky 07-15-2012 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5365448)
Well isn't Toby just the cutest little guy!!
Please do tell us his story, CharlotteMarie?
Did you just make him up now? or has he been a PUP waiting to be brought to the forefront?
Any ideas as to how you are going to finish him off?

Yes please do tell us his story... he looks quite loveable :) :) :)

Jenniky 07-15-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by TOOMANYUFO'S (Post 5365858)
I would like to do this. Is copying a picture and doing applique an ok method. I would like to do Hello Kitty

I don't think W4me put any restrictions on what method of quilting you use. Im sure applique method would be fine. :)

QuiltE 07-15-2012 04:43 AM

Yes, Little Bo Peep will have found her sheep!!

They'll be in a meadow with flowers.
(... though that was where Little Boy Blue found his wayward sheep.)
First fabric auditioned though I'd prefer some colour in the flowers.

And did you notice that Bo plans to keep those woolykins at home now?
... a picket fence to keep them contained!! :)

Ever since I did my Christmas Shepherd and his Sheep, I've had this conversion in mind.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t172511.html
Now I have no excuse to not get at it!!!
And I have an abundance of ideas coming forth ... so watch out as it changes.
I won't be starting for awhile ... first I must find the perfect meadow fabric!

Thanks W4Me ... I needed the nudge!!!

TooManyUFOs ... of course, why not an applique? Most anything goes ... except a printed panel or a fussy cut design! The way I look at it, W4Me is nudging us to "make" our someone or something ... and for sure using a photo as a guideline to create an applique would be bang on! I'm re-creating a pattern I've used, which will be so much more fun than looking for LBP printed on fabric!

works4me 07-16-2012 08:03 AM

athenagwis - I never saw that movie but Wall-E is fabulous. Can't wait to see more progress.

seasaw2mch - yes, follow along and join us when you can.

QuiltingKrazy - I'm sure you'll come up with something. We are here to encourage you.

vickig626 - looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

QuiltE - Miss Peep is adorable. I was thinking along the lines of athenagwis, to have assorted sheep blocks surrounding the darling Bo-Peep.

charlottemarie - Welcome. Toby is adorable. Will his other blocks include bones to eat and butterflies to chase?

TOO MANYUFO's - sounds good. After all Franky isn't exactly my creation either. I took the character and made him my own by deciding to piece him together out of tiny little blocks. Taking a photo and converting it to an applique works for me.

QuiltE - well said about the character. Tell me what your next wish you could find time for project is and I might just start a challenge for it, too. :D

As I mentioned earlier, Franky is waiting for me for a while. I have some time as he wasn't even supposed to be started until August. Maybe, when I take a break from my glass etching I will sew a Franky head.

Glad to see so many people giving their characters life. And it's a great variety. Everyone give yourselves a pat on the back. :)

QuiltE 07-16-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 5369604)
QuiltE - Miss Peep is adorable. I was thinking along the lines of athenagwis, to have assorted sheep blocks surrounding the darling Bo-Peep.

charlottemarie - Welcome. Toby is adorable. Will his other blocks include bones to eat and butterflies to chase?

QuiltE - well said about the character. Tell me what your next wish you could find time for project is and I might just start a challenge for it, too. :D

As I mentioned earlier, Franky is waiting for me for a while. I have some time as he wasn't even supposed to be started until August. Maybe, when I take a break from my glass etching I will sew a Franky head.

Glad to see so many people giving their characters life. And it's a great variety. Everyone give yourselves a pat on the back. :)

:D<pat> <pat> <pat>:D

W4Me ... thanks ... I have a feeling there'll be times when Bo will be hanging relentlessly on my design wall, as I wait for the next step, or like now, til I find the "right" fabric, etc. Then there'll be spurts of progress. I keep coming up with all kinds of oh that'd be great to includes ... ideas overfloweth!

As for next project ... perhaps housework? office work? and all the things I leave behind for quilting? :D

I think what I'm looking forward to here is that Miss Peep will be something totally fun and creative. I'm prepared to kind of go beyond what is really necessary, just for the fun and experience! Thanks for starting this,
W4Me!

CharlotteMarie ... I'll add to W4Me list .... a cat to torment, a mud puddle to play in!

huntersgrammie 07-16-2012 10:59 AM

you people are amazing, once i get the hang of sewing, lol, i have only been doing this for 9 months now i may get adventurous and attempt something like that. good for both of you they are great.

works4me 07-16-2012 01:11 PM

huntersgrammie - Glad you are checking us out. Maybe combine taking a class with this challenge and let a teacher guide you. Or buy a pattern for a character you like. Or look in a book or on the internet for free patterns for something with which you feel comfortable. My intent was mainly to have participants build a character and then have fun with additional blocks around it. Or try something with straight lines, to start. We are here to help and encourage. Franky could have been made a LOT simpler, with larger pieces so there weren't so many seams. I just chose to complicate him as I wanted Franky to be seamed, just like the original. :) The blocks around him are basically sampler blocks in Halloween fabrics.

I hope you decide to join us.

huntersgrammie 07-16-2012 01:17 PM

oh i will be around. i have these kerchiefs that are southwest pattern and i am trying to figure out a way to fussy cut them using a template to go with it, to design a pattern for a quilt for our room in the trailer. we winter in arizona so i thought it would be a great idea. i am thinking of a cactus or kokopeli, i love him but he would be a stretch for a beginner. but i think you get my point. so give me some time i am sure i will come up with something bringing those elements together.