Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   International Patriotic Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/international-patriotic-challenge-t186260.html)

dublb 01-26-2013 11:58 PM

Oh ya'll are gonna have fun shoppin' there!!! Purdy Canadian fabrics!
QE-Naw, it's not a PC block. I was just playin' around w/my TX scraps. :) Hmmm I might be able ta make one like it for a PC sub. I'll think about that.

QuiltE 01-27-2013 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by dublb (Post 5816590)
Oh ya'll are gonna have fun shoppin' there!!! Purdy Canadian fabrics!
QE-Naw, it's not a PC block. I was just playin' around w/my TX scraps. :) Hmmm I might be able ta make one like it for a PC sub. I'll think about that.

Why not just use that one .. finish it to the right size. After all, remember February is only a few days a way, and that's to be your start back on the PC trail! :)

works4me 01-27-2013 08:56 AM

dublb - that looks wonderful. A .25 border? Wow, aren't you ambitious. :)

QuiltE - I've already emailed my 2012 QOV source (Along Came Quilting in Alberta) and have also emailed my 2012 source in the US (Back Porch Quilts in Washington state) about a few of the star fabrics for the 2013 USA QOV.

Looks like I'll be making patriotic quilts well past 2013 now. lol

dublb 01-27-2013 09:51 AM

QE - It's too white & not revolutionary war. It wasn't hard & now I have the stuff ta make it again. I used a foundation grid method. I used Solvy paper. The paper is too fiddley, I tried aqua mesh on another block & wow what a difference. I could even do my tute w/this block. :)

QuiltE 01-27-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by dublb (Post 5817678)
QE - It's too white & not revolutionary war. It wasn't hard & now I have the stuff ta make it again. I used a foundation grid method. I used Solvy paper. The paper is too fiddley, I tried aqua mesh on another block & wow what a difference. I could even do my tute w/this block. :)

Have never heard of solvy paper or aqua mesh ... what are these things?

JeanieG 01-27-2013 10:13 PM

Me either, inquiring minds want to know (what is Solvy Paper and Aqua Mesh)????

dublb 01-28-2013 07:51 AM

Solvy Paper is a water soluble paper. Mostly it is used for PP. Solvy is a thin film stabilizer that is water soluble. AquaMesh is a water soluble stabilizer that has a woven texture. I've been playin' w a technique that uses a pre printed grid on a thin interfacing, only I gotta change things around. LOL I didn't like the fact that the interfacing would stay in place. It was Ok for a wall hangin' but if ya wanted it for something else...well not so good. So I've been playin w/water soluble things & drawin' my own grid. The Aqua Mesh seems ta be the best answer. I'm planin' ta do a tute on it in the next few weeks.

QuiltE 01-28-2013 08:27 AM

Thanks DublB ... There's so many different products out there hiding in our stores.

works4me 02-02-2013 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finished blocks 4 and 5 of the Something New blog hop. 4 was sashiko and 5 was reverse applique and I combined the two.

In keeping with my patriotic theme I used maple leaves and now have a new version of the Canadian flag. :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]392569[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 02-02-2013 07:56 AM

Well done, W4Me!!!
I also can see a whole background sashiko'd with your tesselating leaves.
I never really noticed the pink/red in that beige fabric before ... adding the red with it, really draws it out.
Oh how I love the Stonehenge fabrics! :)