Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   International Patriotic Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/international-patriotic-challenge-t186260.html)

SewExtremeSeams 06-14-2012 11:01 AM

Jenniky: a project board? How fantastic! That would mean I wouldn't have to carry it around in my head. Oh, but I might get freaked out with all I am committed to and all that I want to do and... :D

works4me: am I any closer? No, uh, not yet. I just packaged up a swap commitment and am rushing out the door to get it in the mail. DH suggested I get that done first, before I get to my gardening projects... Smart man, he knows me well. :D It's only noon, I've got all day, don't I? Hopefully, while I am gathering piles of fabric I have here and there this pm, I will be able to locate that r,w & b. Hopefully. :) TTFN

Jenniky 06-14-2012 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SewExtremeSeams
Jenniky: a project board? How fantastic! That would mean I wouldn't have to carry it around in my head. Oh, but I might get freaked out with all I am committed to and all that I want to do and...

I was getting freaked out by not knowing what I had going... the project board helped me to feel less overwhelmed with my tasks. :) :)

Alrighty Im done drawing. Have a good image where I want to go with this block. I didnt draw in the flowers that I am putting along the ribbon. Those of course will be done using the Muv Method.. I think she needs to patent that name. :)

Jenniky 06-14-2012 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Background cut out obviously not squared yet. :) and Pictures of me prepping the Fire House and now Im ready to sew it on. :) :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]342082[/ATTACH]

SewExtremeSeams 06-14-2012 01:52 PM

Jenniky, thanks for showing your prep work. I know you said you were a bigger but you are doing things I haven't exactly done so I appreciate the steps you are showing.

When you said the Muv Method, I began thinking MM, for short:D:D I plan to use the MM also.

JeanieG 06-14-2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 5288277)
Good discussion here. Jenniky, how about SID on your machine and then hand quilt the other areas. You get more comfortable on your machine without worrying about ruining your fabulous quilt and everyone gets to see your great hand quilting, too. Seems like a win, win. You also don't have to pay someone to quilt it for you and can say you did the whole thing yourself.

Ooh, would daughter want to learn SID? Or should that be on a smaller project?

Me, I'm still stitching binding. Good thing I got the rest of the quilt done earlier as there is no time for anything now. I still plan to be finished this weekend.

Hi all, back from our 3 day campout with our Camping Group! Great discussions going on here. Jenniky - love your June BOM. I have not even started mine yet!

I agree with works4me. You can do both SID on your machine and hand quilt the other areas. Or like dublb says - draw some simple designs and either hand stitch or free-motion on the lines. I cannot do FMQ squiggly line quilting at all, but found if I have a simple pattern drawn out on the quilt, I can follow that design with my feed dogs down. Just a suggestion!

Jenniky 06-14-2012 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Time to sew in the windows and the background for the engines garage. Then I will prepare the frames for windows and the garage door. Hubby wants to know when I will start the Fire Engine..LOL I drew it while we were at breakfast at IHOP. I told him we had to have a fire house to put it in first. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342103[/ATTACH]

dublb 06-14-2012 03:48 PM

Jeanie - That is going ta be a darlin' quilt. 4th of July all over town. :thumbup:
I'm glad that ya came up w/a decision. Ya go girl. Your Patriotic quilt will be quite lovely.

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5288435)
Muv, I really like your prickly thistle. It reminds me of the time I planted thistle in my garden because I love the purple flower it produces. When my 'master gardener' Uncle came to visit, he couldn't believe I was planting thistle. In his neck of the woods (Montana) they are mostly considered annoying to have around.

I am a Linda-come-lately here, are you hand embroidering on your appliques? If so, how many threads are you using of embroidery floss? I really love the way it looks. :)

Here's the MM method.:cool:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t188532.html

carolaug 06-15-2012 01:32 AM

Wow...LOVE this!

Originally Posted by peggymunday (Post 5149581)
Can it be projects that have been previously completed? This is a wallhanging that was requested by a friend for a new family member that hailed from Canada. A blending of American and Canadian. They were thrilled with the result. I tried to stay to scale on placements for each flag, and had to make patterns for the stars (they were actually painted and then outline stitched) and the maple leaf (drawn freehand on a folded paper, then unfolded to have a symmetrical result). Here's some pics...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328630[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328631[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328632[/ATTACH]

Jenniky 06-15-2012 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fire house is built, a bit of a pucker on the left bottom window. The bunting will help flatten it out when I am ready to put it on. So now I am going to build a Fire Engine today. :) Wow and Im not even and engineer. Haha :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342163[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 06-15-2012 05:03 AM

Dashing out the door very soon, and see there's been some ChattyCathie's while I was working!!!!

Being that JenniKy is racing along with her 3-P I didn't want to be too late with this suggestion ..... how about making that bunting 3-D? as in, don't just applique it on flat, lay some ribbon/fabric/whatever in place kind of like the real thing, and then tack it down. Love the project

More later folks ....... when tiem is on my side and I am in the
ChattyCathie mode myself!!!!!

Here's to an awesome day for all of you!!!!!