Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

vickig626 08-06-2012 01:46 PM

justflyin -- very nice. I like how you used alternating colors going across.

QuiltE 08-06-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jenniky (Post 5422270)
Hey everyone, Great postings. I love all of the wonderful examples of finished "QAYG" All of the projects are unique and beautiful.:thumbup: I was out all day having summer fun with my family. Laid out in the sun and watched my DGS playing on Lake Michigan Beach building sand castles with my DD. It was a very relaxing day with Pizza for lunch. :) I will work on getting caught up on the posts reading tomorrow and get replies out to any questions that have not been answered. :) Have a wonderful evening Ladies.

Oh Jenniky ... he's adorable!
And what a great pic you captured.
Now you just go and relax ... and enjoy the rest of your day/evening and don't stress about responses!

I forgot to respond about the different technique questions.
I'm with the others ... stick with the one technique and explore all the variables, before going onwards to a different type of QAYG.

It'd become just too confusing, to get too far into other techniques at the same time.
(I confuse easily, and already am getting confused with the extras that have been posted!!:))

VickiM 08-06-2012 06:44 PM

I hope you'll stay with this technique until finished...then maybe the fun & done. I am interested in any QAYG that I can do TOTALLY by machine...I don't do much handwork.

Also, thanks to everyone that made the nice comments on my fun & done projects.

vagabondindigo 08-06-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 5422121)
I recently viewed a disc of quilting made by Nancy Zieman (of "Sewing with Nancy" on PBS) and she used a strip of wonder-under that was about 1/2" wide for basting her quilt. She placed it where she wanted it on the wrong side of her backing piece, pressed it in place with her Clover mini iron, and then tore the paper about a half inch long while keeping pressure on the iron. After applying these "dots" in many places, she peeled off the paper, put her batting over it and pressed it (maybe with a pressing cloth?) using her regular iron. When she was finished doing that all over the backing piece, she did the same "dotting" of the quilt top and peeled off the paper of the Wonder Under and pressed that to the sandwich of batting and backing. It looked quick and efficient.
Seems like this would be a very good way to use up small pieces of fusible that are left over after cutting out appliques. Also a good option for quilters with breathing issues that keep them from using any basting spray.

WOOT! I did something Nancy does!

lol, yes, I use a similar method. i dont usually bother to cut them down much, I now just save all the scrap fusibles from various projects for a quick basting. I have never done it with a whole quilt top, nothing larger than 36" square. little dots, or bits, or squares, or whatnot about 3-4 inhes apart - like you would baste with pins. I do the top first, then the backing. My favorite part - it allows me to center a backing really easily if I have a pattern or otherwise want a certain fabric motif in a certain place on the back. I get impatient with shifting pins for something like that, so this works into my quilting ADD perfectly!

justflyingin 08-06-2012 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 (Post 5422299)
justflyin -- very nice. I like how you used alternating colors going across.

Thanks. That was out of necessity as I didn't have enough dark pink to do all the strips like I originally wanted. So, I decided to go with yellow also. In the end, I liked it just fine.

Jenniky 08-07-2012 05:29 AM

The VOTES are in.
:)

It seems it unanimous to stay with the current method. So that is what we will do. We will continue to explore the variations on this method.

Vhord - Thanks for sharing a QAYG Link with us.
Ssnare- Love your Quilting, Great Job.
Pinkiris- Thanks for sharing the info on the Wonder Under Scraps

SunlitenSmiles 08-07-2012 07:08 AM

wow it feels like we are all in a great big sewing room together

this is great !

rwquilts 08-07-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 5423965)
wow it feels like we are all in a great big sewing room together

this is great !

That's a very good way to describe this! This method is somewhat intimidating, so Jenniky and the rest of you are making me feel more at ease. Today I plan on quilting my blocks or beginning to do that...

Granna of 5 08-07-2012 09:06 AM

Just found this thread, and am excited to get started. I can't find how to bookmark anymore so I subscribed to it and had it e mailed daily. Hope this will work and help me keep up. Thanks for doing this Jenniky.

Jenniky 08-07-2012 09:25 AM

Granna of 5 - Welcome Im glad you have found us. Subscribing and Bookmarking is basically the same. I think that Subscribe is just the new term with the QB's new system. :thumbup:

We will all look forward to seeing the squares you select for this project. I also want to invite you to share your QAYG experiences with us and participate in the discussions. And Questions are always welcomed. :)