Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

Boston1954 08-16-2012 05:46 PM

Vicki, I have thought about varigated thread many times while working on quilts. I will give it a try someday. On this on, I have started with a light cream color. Had two done before I got your message. I will do it someday though, I promise.

Everose 08-16-2012 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356015[/ATTACH]Well, just finished putting the sashings on and sewing the rows together. I'm pleased with how this turned out. No not everything lines up exactly, but that's okay. When I do the next one it will be with fabrics that don't stand out as much when joining. Can't wait to see what Jen adds tomorrow.

Take care everyone.

vickig626 08-17-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5444379)
Here is a photo of some of my orphan blocks, do you see any possibilities? I have done several quilts with QAYG but they always look kind of messy on the back. Hope to see suggestions on how to finish the back.

here's an idea I have just looking at your different blocks -- take the 4 "kinda" log cabin type blocks and turn them to create a different look (this could be the center of the quilt). The scrappy stars could be placed around the center (align 3 on each side) then the ladies set along top and bottom. Place the butterflies in the corners.

without a design wall for me to play with your blocks, if you try this arrangement and take a pic, maybe we can help you further. Although I'm thinking you might have to add a couple more rows to those "center" blocks.

It could turn out awful once I see it on your wall but that's how I figure things out :-)

rwquilts 08-17-2012 05:23 AM

Everose I'm loving seeing what you're working on! What an adorable boy's quilt this will be!

pollyjvan9 08-17-2012 05:29 AM

Vicig626, thanks for the suggestion. Going to give it a try in just a little while. I have more of the Indian girls and the strip star blocks. I also have strip pieces of the bright colored 9 patches that I could make up very quickly. Don't have any more of the other blocks. I do have more orphan blocks, but can't find them right now. I thought they were all together.

Everose, your quilt is adorable.

Jenniky 08-17-2012 07:06 AM

Adding borders

5 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356040[/ATTACH]

Using the same sandwiching technique I used to make the squares, I cut my top borders to my finished size adding in the 1/4 inch seam allowance. I cut my batting at least half an inch larger then my top borders. I cut the back pieces almost the same size the my batting. I used spray basting adhesive. I lightly heat pressed the backing onto the batting first then I flipped over the unit and sprayed the batting with adhesive and then gently rolled my top border piece down the batting border smoothing and re-positioning as needed to center my top border piece onto the Border Sandwich. I have already chalked traced my design onto my top border. I did not heat set the top border because I was not sure if the iron would mess up my stenciling or possible set the colored chalk into the fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356043[/ATTACH]

I ran a basting stitch around the edges of the Border Sandwich and then began to quilt my design on the border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356044[/ATTACH]

When I quilted the center of the short and long side strips I rolled the front and back of the border into a scroll. I found that this gave me great control and I was easily able to guide the needle. (In the picture above I am quilting the bottom border. I did not take the extra step of basting all the way around the edges. I had found that the spray basting was holding well enough.) I don't know that this will always hold true. *** My personal thoughts are that the denser quilting designs such as stippling or tight geometrical designs need to have the extra hold of the sewn basting around the edges. ***

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356045[/ATTACH]

I then trimmed the excess batting and backing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356046[/ATTACH]
To give myself room for error I made my top border longer than it needed to be. So at this point I trimmed both sides of the top border in relation to the design of my quilting. Now Im ready to attach the border to my center piece.

Jenniky 08-17-2012 07:37 AM

ADDING BORDERS Part II

7 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356058[/ATTACH]

Using the same length 1 inch top and the folded 1-3/4 back sashing strip I prepare to attach the top border strip to the central unit of the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356059[/ATTACH]

To help deal with the bulk of my center unit. I fan folded the center unit and used clips to hold it in place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356060[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]356061[/ATTACH]

This created a nice compact unit I could manage at the sewing machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356062[/ATTACH]

Once I finished attaching the border unit then I squared the corners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356063[/ATTACH]

The top border is attached and I'm ready to move on to attaching the bottom and then the two sides in the same manner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356064[/ATTACH]

I will post pictures of my front and back finished project picture as soon as I'm done with the binding. I look forward to seeing more finished projects Ladies. :thumbup:

Have an Awesome Day. :)

dublb 08-17-2012 09:38 AM

Oh Jenniky! I love the quiltin' ya put in the border strips!!!! Your instructions are so awesome!!!:thumbup:
PS. I'm still frog stitchin'.:thumbdown:

JeanieG 08-17-2012 11:32 AM

Jenniky, can you share what type of chalk you used to trace your design on the border. It left such a nice thin line! I need to get some of that. I always have a problem knowing what to use tracing my designs.

Jenniky 08-17-2012 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 5447160)
Jenniky, can you share what type of chalk you used to trace your design on the border. It left such a nice thin line! I need to get some of that. I always have a problem knowing what to use tracing my designs.

I found it at JoAnn's I dont remember the brand or who made it. Our JoAnn's here had apparently just received them in and was telling me how great they were. Here is a picture. If you havent found them or someone else can not give us a name then next time Im at JoAnn's I will look for them again and get the Brand Name. It seems to me they were in the aisle where all the Singer Sewing gadgets area. :confused: Also I have to say by the time I was done quilting and attaching the borders you could barely see the purple chalk on the white material. Once its washed I'm positive it will be clear as a whistle.. but before we whistle I will make sure and wash the quilt...LOL :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356192[/ATTACH]