Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   QB Quilt Contest!! - Lap Quilts made with Traditional Piecing - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/qb-quilt-contest-lap-quilts-made-traditional-piecing-winners-announced-t128948.html)

patricej 06-20-2011 02:17 AM

The deadline for entering your quilt is Midnight (Eastern US Time) on July 15th. Photos will be posted over the [following] weekend. How long that takes will depend on the number of entries.

i have received the first entry! :-)

#1piecemaker 06-20-2011 04:22 AM

this sounds like fun!!!

Thusnelda 06-20-2011 04:40 AM

Only just stumbled over this thread. Looking forward to seeing all the entries, maybe I even find the time to make one of my own.

sandpat 06-20-2011 05:02 AM

Yippee Patrice!! Already getting entries! I can't wait to see them. We all know the talent on here is amazing!

Rhonda 06-20-2011 08:07 AM

Yes!! I was worried we wouldn't get anyone interested! You know when you try something new you never know how it will go!!

Hope to see some wonderful quilts everyone!!

costumegirl 06-20-2011 09:36 AM

Rhonda - Thanks for initiating a great idea!!! I think this will be fun and interesting! It is a great way to spark everyone's creativity and get the UFOs and WIPs done :) I also like the way you are lining up the schedule for the ones in the future - sounds very fair and lots of variety :)

When you mention 'traditional pieced' you refer to squares and rectangles - am I correct in assuming that the traditional diamonds (example - feathered star, etc), hexagons (grandmother's flower garden)and triangles (pyramids) along with other 'traditional' shapes (tumblers) are all included?

Can these traditional shapes be done in non traditional fabrics or does the piece have to have a 'traditional look'?
example - using Kaffe Fassett fabric or other more 'modern' type prints and colours?

Rhonda 06-20-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Rhonda - Thanks for initiating a great idea!!! I think this will be fun and interesting! It is a great way to spark everyone's creativity and get the UFOs and WIPs done :) I also like the way you are lining up the schedule for the ones in the future - sounds very fair and lots of variety :)

When you mention 'traditional pieced' you refer to squares and rectangles - am I correct in assuming that the traditional diamonds (example - feathered star, etc), hexagons (grandmother's flower garden)and triangles (pyramids) along with other 'traditional' shapes (tumblers) are all included?

Can these traditional shapes be done in non traditional fabrics or does the piece have to have a 'traditional look'?
example - using Kaffe Fassett fabric or other more 'modern' type prints and colours?

I am only choosing the catagory. I won't put restrictions on it other than using a traditonal method of piecing. If you want to ask a specific question as in would a tumbler be allowed--then I can make an individual call for you. I do indeed mean squares rects tumblers are fine hexagons diamonds ect are all traditional. What I don't want to see is One block wonders as they are Kaleidoscopes. This may be splitting hairs but you have to draw the line and I may want to do a kaleidoscope theme later on.

I answered a question on would it be ok to use applique as embellisments. I said yes as long as it is only embellishments and not in the body of the quilt.
We just need to have divisions between differant types for future contests.

Hope this is clear. If not don't hesitate to ask!

costumegirl 06-20-2011 11:42 AM

Thanks! :)

g'ville 06-21-2011 02:43 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by traditional piecing. Do you mean hand pieced? I doubt I will ever do that.

MaggieLou 06-21-2011 06:27 AM

Rhonda, could you post a listing of the complete rules so we don't have to read through all the pages to find out? I realize this is a work in progress but it would be so much easier and may answer some questions people are asking. Maybe it could be posted in a seperate area under "contest rules" Thanks.