Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   UFO Challenge of the Month 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ufo-challenge-month-2012-a-t171904.html)

QuilterMomma 08-15-2012 08:59 AM

So ladies, I have a bag of 4" squares, a bag of 5" squares, a bag of 10" squares and a couple other sizes. Would it be acceptable, since they are in the ufo stash, to make just baby quilts out of these? No, they are not baby prints, mostly florals, or should I cut up more squares to go with them and add. Oh, maybe the d9p scrappy style or add in a black to them and let that be the offset color or a blue or red or green, something dominent? any ideas? I need to do some serious sewing and easy quilting to get to my 10. I am not moving along here and it is starting to depress and annoy me. What can I get away with to hit my 10?

Everose 08-15-2012 10:10 AM

QuilterMomma, I say go for it. I love the D9P and I was told not all new moms like the "baby" colors. Whatever will go the fastest and uses the fabric up. I have decided that I will donate quilts to the Ronald McDonald House in the future. I love to try new patterns but have a small family to give them to, so off they go.

QuilterMomma 08-15-2012 10:20 AM

I have donated some as well, then I am going to sell the others at a craft show at church. Yep, I do have several building up again. I did notice in my collection though, the baby quilt to small lap size are not in my collection and i think to have the variety for the craft show, might be good to do some of them and then the price is lower and maybe sell more to recoup the bank account from all my finishes. I will pull one out and I know I have some black and go for it to see what happens, can't hurt. It is hard to do longarm quilting in the morning before work and since I do get up early this will give me something to look at while enjoying my coffee. Nearly done with the log cabin blocks for that star quilt I am doing again. Have the backing and anxious to quilt it because I do know what I am going to do on it. I have most of my swap committments done. Did finish a dq for the swap which was a ufo, just need to get it quilted and bound but I ran out of the backing fabric, it turned out bigger than I thought and decided to do on point so now need to see what I can do to finish it. Not sure if I want a third solid color in it. Decisions decisions decisions. thanks for the help Everose.

Also, from all the little swaps I am doing on the side, I will have quilts to work on next year. Yep they are WIP right now not UFOs. They are current.

latebloomerar 08-16-2012 08:45 PM

Hello my name is Melinda and I have a ton of UFO's

1 Attachment(s)
I just found this thread and I am going to just start in. I vowed at the beginning of this year to finish all my UFO's and now I found this. So far I have finished two UFO's and I have one on the way. I am guilty of having a grandson who pulls out the pieces of his quilt every time he comes over and cast sidelong glances at me and then back at his quilt. I must show perseverance and finish! For the sake of the children. LOL

This quilt is from 2011 star quiltalong. Yes yes I know it's been along time. So here it is. Please forgive the unused treadmill handles, that a insinuating themselves into the picture.

Foxflower 08-16-2012 08:54 PM

Beautful quilt latebloomerar!

Fraew 08-16-2012 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Foxflower (Post 5445830)
Beautful quilt latebloomerar!

I 2nd that!

dublb 08-17-2012 06:43 AM

I love the contrast in your quilt! It's beautiful! Again the contrastin' blocks just make this quilt!!!
PS I have UFO's that are 4 & 5 yrs old, so don't worry about how old a UFO is, let's all just git 'em done. :)

QuilterMomma 08-17-2012 07:33 AM

Nice quilt. Love the colors for sure. Also, to catch you up, I still have 49 to go before the end of year for my 120. We are all in this together and are earning our PHDs and at the end we get a diploma for our efforts, or at least look at the lovely projects we finally finished. I have some that are 10 years old, which will be getting done. When I moved from Montana to Washington, several projects I had started there got put on the way side and now I am really over run with them. I like to cut fabric then get interrupted and not finish them. So, I am hoping you truly enjoy the UFO Quilt Show and stay with us. We are all pulling together to encourage each other along this wonderful road of quilting.

SandyinZ4 08-17-2012 07:44 AM

Latebloomerar, Just wanted to say how much I love your star quilt. I am quite partial to oranges hues. Lovely!

Nanachar 08-17-2012 09:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ladies very nice finishes! I just love this group......all the inspiration helps to keep me going!

Okay, as promised, here are a few finishes.....my summer work. First is a Pinwheel wall hanging that was started about 5 years ago. The points of the pinwheels are loose like prairie points (there must be a name for it) and I added the little brown buttons to make it look like the spinner part of a child's pinwheel.

2nd is not really a ufo.....it was for my DIL's birthday.....a beach bag for her vacation. Along with that and not pictured were a few washable Shopping Bags for my DD and a couple sets of Potholder Mitts (made from leftover Potato printed fabric) for my Son and SIL....the guys loved them.....and were quite surprised that I had made something for them.

3rd and lastly is the "Napa Valley Quilt". About 9 years ago my husband and I went to CA and did the dinner train through Napa Valley.....later on the same trip, we were in a great quilt shop in Sedona, AZ and found this fabric. And, of course being a quilter, I bought it and didn't have a clue as to what I would do with it. My husband loved it and kept asking me what I was going to make with it......finally an idea.....lets pick out two blocks and alternate a row of each.....because he is tall it grew quite large. Alas, it is done and he is just thrilled with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356092[/ATTACH]