Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   UFO Challenge of the Month 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ufo-challenge-month-2012-a-t171904.html)

BarbEllen 01-29-2012 05:44 AM

ranger- the kitty quilt is going to my favorite LA'er. He has such a good eye for what to do and it just calls for something other than what I could do.

dublb 01-29-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 4921035)
So - I've had a happy half hour looking at all the finished quilts that have been posted here this week. Me? Nothing to show yet. I'm doing Leah Day's Quilt Along at the moment, and am also getting to know a new machine. As I do Leah's tutes, I'm digging out UFOs that will enable me to practice what she's been demonstrating, so some of them are moving on a bit, but nothing's actually getting finished. My problem is that I'm so careless/accident-prone that I spend much valuable time sorting out mistakes. An example - this week I got out a Christmas wall hanging that just needed some quilting on the borders to finish it off. Following Leah's lesson on Stippling I rattled that off, and began to get excited about binding and finishing it - until I turned it over and discovered that the backing had shifted as I quilted on 2 sides, so I've had to undo quite a lot of the quilting. There are also about 5 million threads to be disappeared into the back of the quilt (serves me right for not doing them as I went along). And at some point in the making I managed to bleed onto the top, so if I ever get the thing bound, I have to wash it and hope that the stain will come out. That will be before I sew on the sequins that I've decided would be a nice finishing touch (it's a Christmas tree). Oh, and I also realised just yesterday that the backing has a one-way pattern and I've put it on sideways! Doesn't really matter as it's a wall hanging, and (obviously!) isn't very noticeable anyway, but par for the course!
So it looks as if this one might just about be finished by Christmas - and all the other UFOs are still waiting. I wonder why I never get anything finished...!
And believe it or not, I do TRY to be careful!

{{{HUG}}}} Sometimes that's the way it goes!:(It sounds a-lot like the way my Solar System quilt is going! Now that I've finished frog stitching it I've been afraid to start FMQ again.

thomp116 01-29-2012 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a wall hanging I started before Christmas. Now it's ready for 2012!

almond 01-29-2012 05:21 PM

Barballen, Love the cats. they are so real looking. Love it

Sherryquilts 01-29-2012 06:10 PM

Kris - I love the tree! All ready for next Christmas!

dublb 01-29-2012 06:28 PM

Lovely tree Kris! I like how it sparkles!:thumbup:

wildyard 01-29-2012 07:01 PM

Great finishes Ladies!!! Keep that bell a ring-a-ding-dinging :D
I have started my next UFO, but it's really only a semi-ufo as it's more a WIP that got set aside because of some more urgent projects, I didn't really abandon it.
I already have 2 setbacks on it and I just got back to work on it yesterday. LOL... First I somehow managed to cut 48 squares from my blue and red scraps the wrong size.. I cut 4" and they needed to be 5". Not only did I cut them wrong, I got most of them sewed together as I am making HSTs with them. Thankfully I discovered my error before I actually cut them. The real setback from this is that now I don't have enough dark blue scraps to cut the 5" ones from. I have a good amount of blues, but this is for a Marine and the ones I have left are florals. So now I'm pretty much stuck till I can get out to a thrift store and shop for dark blues. So frustrating!!

ranger 01-30-2012 04:17 AM

Kris,nice tree. Glad you got it finished even if you can't use it until Christmas 2012.
Is that a real ornament at the top of the tree?

QuilterMomma 01-30-2012 06:05 AM

Cute stitching on that coat. Great Job. I at least got the rob peter pay paul quilted. No binding yet, but will get on that. Had issues with the longarm so did not get any others done. I did finish my dq top but not teh balentines one I wanted to get sewn. Now I picked up a second job for a few weeks, need the money, so may not get as much done in February, but will see how it goes.

SandyinZ4 01-30-2012 09:07 PM

BarbEllen, I just love your tuxedo cat quilt. Were those all panels? Since I too, have a tux kitty, I am quite partial. Your quilt is great.Hope your sis loves it as much as well all do!