Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   UFO Challenge of the Month 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ufo-challenge-month-2012-a-t171904.html)

Judith1005 02-06-2012 05:57 PM

Another one down.

2 Attachment(s)
I have another finish. Onaemtnest's turtles. (made as a special request from a board member.) You know, that saying when you fill your plate with too much food...."Your eyes are bigger then your stomach". Well, I think I did that with the turtles. I have 3 more little ones that just need their shells attached. And four bigger ones that are just a fraction of the way finished. But, I do have one completely finished. Mailed off and received. These really are the cutest things. And after the initial first one, very easy. But, they are more time consuming then I thought they would be.

Judith1005 02-06-2012 06:05 PM

Thank you so much everybody. And, I'm going to keep fitting in at least one UFO a month. Because I still have a few things to finished. Things I want to finish.! Besides, I love coming here to see all the pretty finished projects. My projects are simple. (that's how I quilt right now) But yours are sew inspiring. And as my quilting skills grow....I am inspired to try new things. Funny, finding out I'm going to be a grandma...I'm just giddy, happy, all smiles. And, hopefully that will show in my quilting as well.

almond 02-06-2012 06:15 PM

Fraew: That is very beautiful. That will be a real conversation piece. I love how it circles

almond 02-06-2012 06:21 PM

Judith: Thoses are so cute and useful also. Really like it.

dublb 02-06-2012 06:27 PM

Those are darling!!

VickiM 02-06-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by dublb (Post 4943266)
Wow you are fast! Two quilts quilted in one day! Awesome quilts!:thumbup:

Thanks...I decided to just SITD on both of them...they are both lapquilts, so not bad to do. I use 4 oz. poly batting, so they don't need real close quilting...& they stay soft & cuddly. I like my quilts with not a great amount of close quilting so they stay softer...plus I do all this on my Janome 6600. Would love a longarm, but no room.

VickiM 02-06-2012 06:37 PM

Sherry, I love your rag quilt...you're right, clipping at the end kills your hands. I made a queen size a few years ago & I remember that clipping!

dublb 02-06-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by VickiM (Post 4950111)
Thanks...I decided to just SITD on both of them...they are both lapquilts, so not bad to do. I use 4 oz. poly batting, so they don't need real close quilting...& they stay soft & cuddly. I like my quilts with not a great amount of close quilting so they stay softer...plus I do all this on my Janome 6600. Would love a longarm, but no room.

I'd love a longarm also....maybe some day. You did good! :thumbup:

ranger 02-07-2012 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by VickiM (Post 4943208)
Well, January came & went & I got no UFO's done...so I decided to jump right in & get things going this month. I have several quilt tops that just need quilting & binding. I have to be in the mood to do the quilting, so when I get into that mood, I lay sheets all over the room to get ready for the spray baste (it still gets everywhere) & it will stay like this for a week or two till I get the tops all ready for the quilting process. So yesterday I got 2 quilt tops ready & today I quilted & bound them. So January & February UFO's are taken care of! (Happy dance...) Actually, killed 3 birds with 1 stone on this one...the finished quilts for this challenge, a scrappy quilt for the scrappy challenge on the board, & the UFO challenge for the quilt guild I'm in. Anyway, here are the 2 totally finished quilts. I did the tops while visiting my daughter in N.C. for 3 weeks in May '11. I made about a half dozen tops during that time as I sew while she's at work. The scrappy one is the leader/ender scrap quilt (& stash). The daisy one was a spur of the moment buy...saw the blue, yellow, & pink daisy fabric (I think it was at her Hancocks fabrics), so found a couple other fabrics to go with it, shopped in her quiltbooks to find a pattern I liked (forget what it's called and by who), and made the top. Finishing, I shopped my stash. So, my UFO's will begin by getting all those finished.

I like the fabrics in your quilts, especially that daisy one..
You really got busy! Congrats on the finishes.

I have several tops done and, like you, I have to be in the mood for quilting. It's my least favorite part of the process and I have to push myself to do it.
This thread on UFOs helps keep me motivated.

ranger 02-07-2012 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sherryquilts (Post 4943598)
I need to stop procrastinating and get a photo posted. I finished a quick purple flannel and recycled denim rag quilt that had been cut out for a couple of years. When I make rag quilts I like to clip the seams as I sew; it is way to hard on my hands to do it all at the end.

Nice cozy quilt.
Congrats on the finish.
That's a good idea...to clip as you go.