Quilt Challenge!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Grandma 58 -I love your quilt. The light greenish gold really adds some sparkle and tension to the color palate.

Your quilt gives me ideas for incorporating orphan blocks into a modern looking quilt.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM

[quote=quiltmaker101]A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year.

I made this Sue quilt last year from Scraps, and it didn't cost me a cent. I still have enough scraps left over to make 2 more
Syl
Attached Thumbnails attachment-132509.jpe  
Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by janb
Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.
What a sense of humor...made my day!

tim in san jose
Funny
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Count me in too some of the scrappy quilts are the most memorable. I have so much stash and many bags of scraps, sometimes I feel like a hoarder. I can't get rid of fabric, it is an addiction that only we understand. Can't wait to see pics in progress.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by cozycrafter
Count me in too some of the scrappy quilts are the most memorable. I have so much stash and many bags of scraps, sometimes I feel like a hoarder. I can't get rid of fabric, it is an addiction that only we understand. Can't wait to see pics in progress.
would love to be your neighbor for you to share with me :)
Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Since I started sewing many people have given me so much. I love the good will store and yard sales, treasures eveywhere. Wish you were my nieghbor and you could teach me this quilting is new for me. I love it!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Ricky Timms was the speaker at the MN quilters show banquet maybe 6-8 years ago. He told the story of his quilting journey. It started with inheriting his grandmothers sewing machine. He somehow got started making a quilt. He used whatever fabrics he could find, including clothing. His first "teachers" were women offering advice when he went shopping for fabric. If I remember right, this was not at a quilt shop type store. One of them invited Ricky to a quilt group meeting. Amazing on how one person inviting another to join the family of quilters could have such a profound effect on someones life.

I think quilting and the friendships one makes in their quilting journey are unlike any others. This idea of encouraging members to connect on a one to one level are priceless.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM

I have one box for civil war snipets and another for 30s and pastel. The pastel quilt is 3" squares and you start with a strip of white diagonaly o a 3" square of muslin or other scrap fabric, and then add any size strips diagonaly. When you alternate block position it makes a trellis shape. Then I've been stitching them in groups of 16 (4x4). I should take a pic and post. I know I got it from some web page years ago. Makes a thick piece so I may only put a backing on it, no batting and use for end of bed throw.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 PM

I'd like to participate too. Went to grand opening of a Joanne's near me & I'm still suffering from sticker shock! Even with a 50% off coupon it was outrageously expensive. So I've vowed to do only scrap quilts/stash quilts this year.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.

tim in san jose
You are too funny - and kind! I will be sure to make mine EXTRA GIRLY before I send it to you for "Judging."
yah with lots of bright pink flowers and butterflys and anything else girlie that we can think of. :))