Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
UFO Challenge of the Month 2012 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I just found this thread and read through it all. Over Christmas I told my DD that I wasn't starting any new quilts until I get some of my UFO's done. She peered over to her DH and said, "Did you get that on tape?" LOL With that in mind I about cutting the binding for a quilt that was started over 5 years ago, FMQ at the LQS last summer and finished yesterday. So am I in? you bet!
I like your idea annesthreads on how to think about the UFO's.
Sherry, what a beautiful sock for little Rainn. Were you stitching at the hospital while waiting to see him?
Will take a pic of my quilt and post soon. Thanks for the inspiration to get them done!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM

The more I try to get one odne, the behinder I get. Trying to do a heater core on truck so I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $600 THEY WANT. Cant get dash past steering wheel so have to take that off. Was not looking forward to that. Have a plan though, go for it. After this I get to sew. Did Myster Quilt with About.COm and had to change out one of the borders. Wanted this to be for a swap but will have to see. I am using up one of my UFOs that I started a few years back so I am making one of the UFOs. Will post when done. I do mean done, will have quilted hopefully this week depending on how bad that child makes me work out. Yes, the diet is started along with the exercise routine. Love my daughter. She is keeping me to task and I need it. I have a ufo on the longarm now and I want to work on it tonight and I have another one in the process, all trimmed up and strips cut for the rails on the churn dash and ready to go. THen I do have my bag that needs to be done for daughter. I know why i did not finish it, how do you do french seams? That would make it look nice for finishing. Also, I have to find the wonderunder to make the pockets sturdier.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I am off to a good start- and quilted another UFO yesturday- started the binding today- down the first side- will (hopefully finish it tomorrow) then will take a pic & show you===i am quite excited to be wrapping up old ufo's this year-
and since i'm also doing the (no fabric purchases) challenge- working on ufo's helps- since i've had everything for them for years
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm in!! I just finished another QFK yesterday ... so have a good start. I will complete my column quilt and put it on the bed while it's still cold enough to use it! And ... I WILL get my sewing area organized ... again! Is it just me ... or do others share this problem - when I'm in a creative mode, I really get messy! I leave things laying around that should be put away and my play area ends up looking like a hurricane hit! I really want to straighten it up and organize it, but my creative side gets me very distracted in there and I end up creating instead of cleaning!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Default TicTacMo from Terry Atkinson

Here's the quilt I bound between Christmas and New Years. Could be a great scrappy quilt pattern
Attached Thumbnails 013.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM

I just found this thread, I hope it's not to late to join. I have about 28 projects ranging from small to double size quilts. Nothing older than 4 years old. (I haven't been quilting that long.) But, as you can see, I was a good starter, but not a great finisher. they are all in different stages of being finished. And I could definitely use the support to get these things done. And, I've also gone on a "fabic diet" to also motivate me to get things done and control needless spending. Of course, it's time better spent working on my projects at hand rather than planning to many projects ahead.

Oh, and I love Rainn's christmas stocking. It's adoable. And so is your grandson.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I just found this thread and read through it all. Over Christmas I told my DD that I wasn't starting any new quilts until I get some of my UFO's done. She peered over to her DH and said, "Did you get that on tape?" LOL With that in mind I about cutting the binding for a quilt that was started over 5 years ago, FMQ at the LQS last summer and finished yesterday. So am I in? you bet!
I like your idea annesthreads on how to think about the UFO's.
Sherry, what a beautiful sock for little Rainn. Were you stitching at the hospital while waiting to see him?
Will take a pic of my quilt and post soon. Thanks for the inspiration to get them done!
Thanks Oksewglad! We were lucky enough to spend all most all of the time we spent at the hospital with Rainn, so no sewing there...but I had gotten the stocking kit shortly after we found out they were pregnant and started working on it right away, but when things during pregnancy started to look less than good, I put it away for a while, I just couldn't bear to work on it; after he was born, I started again, but had to put it away for a while during August/September when things didn't look too promising. But then he really started to take off during October...and grandma needed to get busy since I had UFO'd it a couple of times! On December 10th, I was pretty sure that it was just going to be pieces and a promise on Christmas day.

I love the TicTacMo - I have some of those blocks made. I think I just may have to set them on point!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I just found this thread, I hope it's not to late to join. I have about 28 projects ranging from small to double size quilts. Nothing older than 4 years old. (I haven't been quilting that long.) But, as you can see, I was a good starter, but not a great finisher. they are all in different stages of being finished. And I could definitely use the support to get these things done. And, I've also gone on a "fabic diet" to also motivate me to get things done and control needless spending. Of course, it's time better spent working on my projects at hand rather than planning to many projects ahead.

Oh, and I love Rainn's christmas stocking. It's adoable. And so is your grandson.
Thanks Judith! We think he's pretty adorable as well.
I like to start things as well - do you like to try new techniques when you start something new? That is what I do...I think I like the process better than the product. I am trying to get myself to think that part of the process IS the product, and there is so much satisfaction when something is finished! Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 PM

I work a lot like you. And I am a special ed school teacher so I am constantly working many more than 40 hours a week, and do books for my husband's trucking business. So sewing/quilting is my therapy. Im afraid that if I got too regimented I would not find sewing pleasant rather another thing I HAVE to do.
Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
This year I took part in a UFO challenge elsewhere that was very elaborately organised, and I don't think that actually helped me very much - it set me up to fail. I really like the easy-going approach here on the board. I've gathered up all my UFOs and put them in crates under my bed so that I'm not overwhelmed by the sight of them (about 17). Out of interest, I made a list of them just so I know what I've got. My method is going to be to pull one out at random and start working on it. If, as often happens, it comes to a temporary halt because I need fabric, batting or thread, I'll put it back until I can get to the quilt shop and pull another one out. I've decided not to try to do one a month, because if I fail early on, I'll get discouraged. I'm thinking that for me what might work best is simply to resolve to do some work on one of the UFOs every day that I can get to my sewing machine. That way I should at least make some progress and, who knows, may even finish some! And being able to come here and share how I'm doing will be a huge help.
We all work differently - some people need to set themselves targets, some of us don't respond well to that approach. Some like to focus on one project, others like to have variety. This challenge is great, because we can all play to our own strengths and favourite working methods, and hopefully get some of those UFOs onto the finished list this next year!
Happy New Year and Happy UFO Completion to all!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM

French seams are a piece of cake. put wrong sides of material together stitch a scant 1/4 to 3/8 inch seam then turn so right sides are together and stitch again making sure raw edges are encased in seam. I sometimes use a french seam technique then I want a good fringe by making my first seam deeper and leave a little of the raw edges outside of the second seam.
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
The more I try to get one odne, the behinder I get. Trying to do a heater core on truck so I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $600 THEY WANT. Cant get dash past steering wheel so have to take that off. Was not looking forward to that. Have a plan though, go for it. After this I get to sew. Did Myster Quilt with About.COm and had to change out one of the borders. Wanted this to be for a swap but will have to see. I am using up one of my UFOs that I started a few years back so I am making one of the UFOs. Will post when done. I do mean done, will have quilted hopefully this week depending on how bad that child makes me work out. Yes, the diet is started along with the exercise routine. Love my daughter. She is keeping me to task and I need it. I have a ufo on the longarm now and I want to work on it tonight and I have another one in the process, all trimmed up and strips cut for the rails on the churn dash and ready to go. THen I do have my bag that needs to be done for daughter. I know why i did not finish it, how do you do french seams? That would make it look nice for finishing. Also, I have to find the wonderunder to make the pockets sturdier.