Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
any good blueberry muffin recipes? >

any good blueberry muffin recipes?

any good blueberry muffin recipes?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:41 AM

The best recipe I have ever tried for blueberry muffins is one from the Martha Stewart site. They were so amazingly good they would have rivaled a fancy bakeshop muffin, pretty too. Since a friend and I spent 2hrs. picking these wild huckleberries on an island, I wanted to make sure they were very special.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I would like to know why my muffins never come out with "muffin tops" like the ones from bakeries.
I tell you what, that's a good question. The more I try to figure out how to tweak this recipe the more I find I don't know. But here's my take so far. If you use a low protein flour like White Lily (my flour of choice) or a cake flour-which is also low protein, then the batter/dough won't have enough gluten to have the structure to hold a rise and hold all the blueberries. I was very careful not to overmix and develop gluten(???) because all my recipes agreed that would make the muffins tough. Who wants a tough muffin? But they have to have more structure than a cake to hold up the blueberries.

I read about needing a thicker dough to keep the blueberries up, but I must say I like the other poster's idea of dusting the blueberries with flour. It seems like that would be easier than making a thick dough, and the flour would still thicken it up some. I watched Martha Stewart's video, and her dough was thicker than mine.

I used the recipe floating around on the internet that calls for a can of sweetened condensed milk, with the juice of half a lemon and 1/4 tsp. of vanilla for extra flavor. They did hold together better after they were cool, and they did taste rich and luscious. I'll try again after my cookies get all eaten, and get a regular all purpose flour and dust my blueberries.

Last edited by Petalpatsy; 02-01-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I would like to know why my muffins never come out with "muffin tops" like the ones from bakeries.
Things to try:
All ingredients at room temperature.
Blueberries should be dry-no extra liquid to add to the batter.
Eggs are cracked in a separate bowl and gently stirred just until yolk and white are mixed.
Mix liquids separate from the dry ingredients. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture but do not overmix, just until eggs are mixed in -about 10 seconds.
Test using both baking soda and baking powder in the recipe. Baking powder alone may not be enough to rise the muffins.
Batter should be spoonable, somewhat lumpy and not runny. Adjust flour if needed.
Fill cool tins almost to the top. Not 2/3 or 3/4, but just below the top.
Don't let the batter sit for even 1 minute after the last muffin cup is filled. Immediately get the tin in the oven as the baking soda starts to do its thing as soon as the liquids are added to the dry ingredients.
Oven at 400 degrees before putting muffin tin in the oven. The high heat rises the batter to the top faster.
Bake about 16-18 min. then check for doneness. There will be spillage over the sides of the tin cups and high domes when baking. And that is the beauty of a muffin.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 AM

If you mix the batter REALLY good & let sit 20 minutes before spooning into muffin papers they will rise nice & high (In my younger years I owned a Bakery ) Also dust your fruit with flour to keep it from sinking to the bottom .( I only fill my cups 1/2 full & they rise well over the top with a nice peak.)