Welcome to the Quilting Board!
I made this yesterday after receiving my Southern Living mag - omitted the ice cream, great and not overly sweet which I loved - so yummy!
Easy Skillet Apple Pie
• 2 pounds Granny Smith apples
• 2 pounds Braeburn apples
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
• 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
• 1 egg white
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• Butter-pecan ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
2. Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust. Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of piecrust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.
3. Bake at 350º for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. Serve with butter-pecan ice cream.
Southern Living SEPTEMBER 2011
I love apple crisp - no recipe, just wing it. Slice apples to fill whatever dish you are using, put in bowl, add cinnamon, sugar, sometimes ginger or nutmeg. Mix and put back in baking dish. In bowl, mix about 1/2 stick butter, some flour, some sugar and more spices. ( a small food processor does a great job creaming butter and sugar). Add some oats and mix all up. Cover apples with topping, bake, eat.
(batter is VERY thick, but the cake is SO moist...a family and friends favorite!)
1 cup oil
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
3 cups sifted flour ( my favorite is King Arthur's brand)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 TBSP cinnamon powder
6 apples, pared and diced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
Mix oil, sugar, and eggs into sifted flour, soda and cinnamon. Batter is stiff. Add apples, nuts and raisins. (You will have to mix by hand). Grease and flour pan (use either two 8" square pans or one 9" X 13" pan) Pour into pan(s) and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mix (I used a couple tablespoons full). Bake at 350 until done. ( knife comes out clean)