Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Bacon & eggs-air fryer vs. micro >

Bacon & eggs-air fryer vs. micro

Bacon & eggs-air fryer vs. micro

Old 11-03-2016, 05:40 AM

Default Bacon & eggs-air fryer vs. micro

i have an air fryer-recent purchase. Am still trying to justify this purchase by watching/reading recipes...yesterday I watched a video of "Doug" doing bacon and eggs. Two slices of bacon -took over 5 minutes and looked greasy....scrambled eggs in some egg maker that took over 5 minutes. Well, I can do 2 slices of bacon in micro on drop an in less than two minutes and a scrambled egg in a ramekin in about 35 seconds...so that was not a winner. Then he did a beef/veg stir fry..using the a/f to first do the meat...long time, take out, clean container, then do frozen veggies, and then put sauce into a small dish and heat up in there....then out all into a Tupperware, cover, shake up and put in serving dish..sorry but this could have been done on stove in wok much faster, less mess! Did not convince me! So I'm still on the fence..I can see where it is good for some things, but some not so....jmho
Old 11-03-2016, 05:58 AM

Haven't tried bacon or eggs yet. Doug has tons of videos, even pizza french bread, seven minutes at 320 degrees.

I don't have the same concern with the fryer because I don't want to use the oven if I can help it. I have made chicken (turned out great), pork chops (great), zucchini and squash (I liked it, still learning on that one), brownies (tasty), frozen fries (delicious), veggie chicken (tasty), and on and on. I am very happy with this fryer, but then I like my crockpot too.

We line the bottom of the fryer a silicon baking sheet to help cut cleaning time.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Why line the bottom of the fryer..its Teflon.....wipes out easily enough. I'm thinking this would be a good cooking utensil in the summer, but winter - oven is my extra heating source....and natural gas is cheaper than electricity.jmho
Old 11-03-2016, 08:11 PM

I bought Emeril's air fryer and it cracked the first time I used it (yesterday). I went ahead and used it and made roasted chicken breast. It was good and cooked quickly; however, I was disappointed with the crack. It can be returned thru January 31 so it will be going back. No sure if I will ask for a replacement or refund.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:16 AM

I have a large toaster oven, had had 4-5 over the last 35+ years and seldom use the stove oven, and they are only $40.-100 each. Seldom use the oven, cook turkey in a big roaster oven that was my stepfathers but you cna still buy them. Bread, cakes, cookies and meat and vegies all do well in the toaster oven.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by carol40965 View Post
I bought Emeril's air fryer and it cracked the first time I used it (yesterday). I went ahead and used it and made roasted chicken breast. It was good and cooked quickly; however, I was disappointed with the crack. It can be returned thru January 31 so it will be going back. No sure if I will ask for a replacement or refund.
I have the NuWave Brio from kohls. I have only had it for a week but it is working out so darn well, brownies, apple hand pies, chicken, pork chops, breaded veggie chicken, fries of course, squash and zucchini, and salmon.

Kohls always has sales and is very forgiving on returns.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 PM

I was almost tempted to get the air fryer from QVC but decided that my Jet Stream does the same thing mostly - and I do,love those wonderful kitchen appliances!!! I can do a nice gooey egg quickly I'm a frying pan and I haven't done bacon in years but always did it in the microwave. Thank heavens I finally found an appliance I could do without!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC