Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Baking Problem >

Baking Problem

Baking Problem

Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM

My first thought was that you swapped the baking powder and baking soda.....using the powder's amount of soda and vice versa. I bake a LOT and always set out everything first, them move each to another counter as I use it. I work on the counter on the left side of my stove and move everything to the right side as I use it....which puts it closer to the cabinets to put up.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
pal

Thank you all for your input.

You were all right! Baking powder expired Nov 2006
Baking Soda expired July 2010
Shouldn't have started baking at 2 am
Nuts were not in freezer
Throw out new measuring spoons - they
were 1/2 TBSP, not 1/2 tsp.
Use different pans for baking cakes
and roasting meat.
I didn't realize that baking soda and baking powder had expiration dates. It's a wonder that I didn't ruin more cakes.

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!!!!

Thank you all. pal
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Sounds like Madamekelly hit the nail on the head. I made a chocolate pound cake one time and mistakenly used self rising flour instead of plain flour. After about 30 minutes I checked on it, and it was all poofed up and running down the sides of the pan into the oven. It was a mess and tasted awful. I did dare to taste it. And cleaning the oven was a horrible job. I make sure the right flour goes in the right canister anymore. Hard learned lesson

sassy granny
Old 10-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pal
Thank you all for your input.

You were all right! Baking powder expired Nov 2006
Baking Soda expired July 2010
Shouldn't have started baking at 2 am
Nuts were not in freezer
Throw out new measuring spoons - they
were 1/2 TBSP, not 1/2 tsp.
Use different pans for baking cakes
and roasting meat.
I didn't realize that baking soda and baking powder had expiration dates. It's a wonder that I didn't ruin more cakes.

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!!!!

Thank you all. pal
Why would you throw out the measuring spoons ... I love my newer set with the 1/2 tbsp measure. You just need to read as you use them!

I suspect the main thing would be this tbsp/tsp problem that I suggested at the start.

Using after BBD doesn't mean for a disaster, though it might have affected things a tad. Likewise, many of us use nuts that have not been kept in the freezer ... it's just a precautionary! Also, in a perfect world, different pans for meat/baked goods, though again, many of us have not had disasters

Yes, all things have added up ... so now hope you will re-make your old favourite recipes and enjoy !
Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by pal
Been baking my Russian Coffee Cake for 40 years, never had a problem.

Baked it last night and it is completely inedible. Tastes like SALT!!!

Does baking soda go bad - deteriate - break down?????

How about baking powder?

I keep the chopped walnutz in the refrigerator. Could they have gone bad?????

I opened the oven to check it and noticed that the outer rim of the cake was puffed up, and that the cinnamon,sugar, walnutz mixture was no longer around the rim - almost like the part of the cake that touched the cake pan was expanding from the bottom of the cake pan. In other words, the center of the cake was fine, but the outer part was all puffed up. This was all settled down when I took it out of the oven.

Here are the ingredients: sugar, butter,eggs, baking soda, baking powder, flour, sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon and walnutz.

Last week, I made the cream cheese & crescent roll recipe . I don't know what happened, but we had to throw the whole tray out. It tasted of the spare ribs that I had made a few nights before. I was devastated because it was dessert for company. My friend suggested that the roasting pan probably was worn out and became porous. That's also the roasting pan that I use for the Russian Coffee Cake. So this time I used a pyrex roasting pan that was a little smaller, and therefore the cake would have been higher.

What the heck is going on???????????? Well, if it's not the baking soda or baking powder, then I am clueless. Any ideas?

Throwing out two expensive desserts in two weeks is getting me down!!!!! My ego is suffering!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
I took a class and was told that Baking Powder MUSt BE STIRRED BEFORE EACH USE and that it goes bad within a 5 or 6 month period of time so it's best to buy smallest can or pkg. of baking powder you can find and just buy it more often.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM

oven temp? oven seal? the clue for me was food that tasted like food cooked previously? did you by chance wash the pan in a dishwasher that didn't finish it's cycle? baking soda is cheap and easy fix but did both dishes contain bakingsoda?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

One can test baking powder before using it to see if it is still "fresh" enough to use.

Put one teaspoon of baking soda in 1/4 cup of hot water - if it bubbles madly, it's good to use. If it doesn't, it's "dead"

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/a...er-1192669.php
Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 PM

baking powder goes bad their was a story about a kid whose mother made pancakes and he was not feeling well. She took him the the hospital and it ended up the old pancake box the baking powder breaks down. I now only keep 2 boxes in the house and watch the dates on the boxes
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM

I made my same cheesecake for years and recently made it and it came out of the oven BEAUTIFULLY...I forgot the sugar!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Did you use self-rising flour instead of regular?