Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Beans in the crockpot >

Beans in the crockpot

Beans in the crockpot

Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Default Beans in the crockpot

I just learned this, maybe everyone else knows it already. It is not safe to cook some dry beans in the crockpot from scratch. They contain a toxin that is destroyed by cooking, but the crockpot never gets hot enough to do the job. It is better to add already cooked beans. The ones that have the toxin are the larger beans like kidney and fava.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

I have never had problems cooking dry kidney beans in my crockpot. I don't know about fav a beans...
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 AM

I always soak my beans and then cook them til they are tender and then put them in what I am going to make - like baked beans and then they go in the oven for 4-5 hours. Thanks for heads-upping us though. Good thing to know. I won't eat fava beans and I won't ever watch Silence of the Lambs again - nightmares forever!!!!!!! I'll stick to good old Great Northern Beans - my favorite to cook with.

Edie
Old 07-19-2014, 04:11 AM

I have made my navy beans or pinto beans in a crockpot for years. I've never heard of any toxin being released. I just dump them in dry, add water, my ham seasoning and turn it on low and go.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 AM

I have a small electric roaster and I soak the beans overnight, then drain, add chicken broth and an onion and lots of pepper. Put in a smoked turkey leg (lots less fatty than pork), and cook till the meat falls off the bone. Check to see if it needs additional salt or seasoning and enjoy. Add water or broth as needed while cooking.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:15 AM

I to cook navy beans and pinto beans in the slow cooker never had a problem and they always turn out good with one good thing no gas like cooking them on the stove I use ham bones
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I am more of a semi-homemade cook. The only beans I buy fresh are green beans. Only beans DH likes.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:41 AM

i am famous among family & friends for my crockpot beans. no one has ever gotten ill from them. consumer reports did an article years ago about different crockpots and the safety issue of temperature that you mention. so, of course i tested temp in my fav pot and it exceeded temp the report deemed lowest safe level. been a while but i believe it was over 130F. similar to boiling water. new models of crockpots are probably better made to ensure the hight cooking temps required for safety. i love my crock pots ...i could not live w/o them. traveling construction jobs for years, living in motel rooms ---crock pots & electric skillets were a necessity.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 AM

If it gets to boiling (212F) then you are OK. You can read more about it here, lots of links

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...26.be3p2ZGugwI

The symptoms sounded so nasty I would not want to take a chance.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I always soak my beans and then cook them til they are tender and then put them in what I am going to make - like baked beans and then they go in the oven for 4-5 hours. Thanks for heads-upping us though. Good thing to know. I won't eat fava beans and I won't ever watch Silence of the Lambs again - nightmares forever!!!!!!! I'll stick to good old Great Northern Beans - my favorite to cook with.

Edie
Love how you brought "Silence of the Lambs" into the conversation.