Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Black cast iron skillet cobblers.. >

Black cast iron skillet cobblers..

Black cast iron skillet cobblers..

Old 10-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Default Black cast iron skillet cobblers..

This has to be the best cobbler I have ever eaten...

I have made this twice and then tried it with peaches...with the peach cobbler, substituted 1/4 cup of cornstarch for 1/2 cup of flour... you must try this...
I did spray the skillet with a little Pam and then wiped with a paper towel...so it wouldn't me so greasy

http://www.familysavvy.com/skillet-blackberry-cobbler/
Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
This has to be the best cobbler I have ever eaten...

I have made this twice and then tried it with peaches...with the peach cobbler, substituted 1/4 cup of cornstarch for 1/2 cup of flour... you must try this...
I did spray the skillet with a little Pam and then wiped with a paper towel...so it wouldn't me so greasy

http://www.familysavvy.com/skillet-blackberry-cobbler/
Hmmmm, looks great.

Her photos looks like the cobbler is about ready to spill over onto the oven floor. Did you have that as an issue? I do have a cast iron pan and don't use it all that often. It is heavy.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Looks delicious ! I printed it for my next grocery visit, Thanks (Love my cast iron skillets)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Thank you for the recipe.
My son, who still has a few years before he moves out, was already worried about what he would do without my cast iron pan. I let him know I've already put one put aside for him
Old 10-10-2016, 05:59 PM

My DH was born and raised in the Seattle area where blackberries grow wild, every year he would go out and pick buckets of berries. His mom would make blackberry pies and freeze them, and they ate them all year long. So it was only natural to bake blackberry pies and jam. I now have my mother's cast iron skillet, I may need to try to make one of these. Right now I use the Pampered Chef's deep dish pie dish. My mom felt when you make a fruit pie you want it have a LOT of fruit. This recipe definitely goes along with that line.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:59 AM

Could this be halved and put into a 6" pan?? 12" is way too much dessert for just 2 people??
Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Could this be halved and put into a 6" pan?? 12" is way too much dessert for just 2 people??
The author writes about using the mini skillets in the description of the recipe.

Growing up in the South we picked blackberries every year. My grandmother would send me out to pick a pan full so she could make cobbler. She made hers on top of the stove in a big pot. More like blackberry and dumplings. I didn't know anyone that baked a cobbler back then.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-11-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 PM

This cobbler does not spill over in the oven...I've made blackberry and peach, and neither one did that...and they are so good...I have the edge savers that you put on the edges to keep the crust from getting burnt...take them off the last 15 minutes...of the baking...believe me, you will never want to make another cobbler any other way...I got the bags of frozen blackberries and peaches at Walmart...very reasonable, and I used 2 pkgs for each cobbler...
Enjoy!
I suppose you could half the recipe for just 2 people, but it heats up great for leftovers...and there is only 2 in my house...
Old 10-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Sounds delicious, but I would use less than half of that sugar in the pie, and about 1 teaspoon to sprinkle on the crust. We need to get away from eating so much sugar. It’s much worse for you than fat.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:30 AM

I made one of these yesterday, but with fresh peaches. It is great, if I do say so! Thanks for this idea; I'd never made a cobbler in a black iron skillet before -- and I have six black iron skillets, of all sizes!